Solved Pretty troublesome situation - Pendrive and laptop infected, planning to format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonehwolf

Hello, thanks for dropping by to help me, I'll try and keep it as simple and as informative as I can.

I only have my 3yr old laptop as a system (so I can't rely on secondary systems to fetch me files I might need). I do not need my laptop for any important business related issues, as such formatting is pretty much an option I opt for very oftenly. I also have a 16Gig INTENSO pendrive (Which I really ain't planning on throwing away since it cost me quite a few bucks to get) which I have used to restore the 3 main drivers I can't really go without: Network, Graphics and Audio. Specially network, since everything else can be fetched via the internet.

I have a conficker virus on my system, if I guessed correctly based on some website I checked to see which pictures load and which don't. (2 pictures, one on each side of the top row of this particular website didn't load, indicating I was infected with conficker.) The virus itself is very annoying disabling various websites from loading, and messing around with my head in general, knowing it's present.

What I want to do
Give the laptop a clean format.
Get rid of all the viruses on both the laptop and the pendrive.

What's happening
I tried some guides to attempt to remove the virus from my computer, but the virus originates from the pendrive, so killing the soldiers but not the king ain't really getting me anywhere in this particular battle =/

I formatted the pendrive and it gave me a "Success" through WinXP, having a lot of data (my poor music collection :'<) being wiped, and yet the bloody virus is still present there. It appears to be an autorun.inf, avast continuously locks it out, but continuously fails at deleting it for some reason.

What I have done
Quite a few things actually. I tried too many guides reading existing posts on this or maybe other forums (Fairly positive it was this forum), but I decided to give in and post my own thread, since at this point I really need someone guiding me step by step. Tell me what to do and how to provide you with any data that might be helpful and I'll do it asap.

Thank you very much for reading, and helping :)

You have some device (security?) on the pen drive that harbors the infestation... because it cannot hide there unless there is a place to hide.
Contact the INTENSO people with your problem. There is a fix.

Are you saying, that you formatted pendrive and the infection is still there?

Yes, I have formatted the pen drive. Opening the root pendrive file I see nothing, looking at the bottom it says:

0 objects (plus 1 hidden)

Going into tools -> folder options -> view -> Show hidden files and folders -> apply -> ok

Nothing shows up, the bottom says the same, going back up the same path I mentioned above shows "Show hidden files and folders" as off, and turning it on and applying doesn't change the settings, it seems to be forced off no matter what I do.

I can't see the contents, it seems to be an autorun.inf file that's infected. Identified as "BV:AutoRun-S [Wrm]" by avast.

I'm at a standstill here.

Did you use quick, or full format?
There is a possibility, that your computer is infected and it keeps creating some file on your pendrive.

Full format, it could be.

While following the 8 step sticky I have issues downloading both of the following programs because the virus blocks these type of websites:

Anti Malware
https://www.techspot.com/downloadget.php?id=4716&file=1&evp=0a59f9584bb65ce60f8292a3fc06e555

Super Anti Spyware
https://www.techspot.com/downloadget.php?id=2695&file=1&evp=9278d60a8ed4a9b00e48e35c01bcb68c

They have no alternate mirrors so ain't got any other options that I can think of that are recommended by the staff. Adding mirrors, possibly hosted by techspot would be a great idea, unless that's breaking the ToS or something along those lines :(

I'm still clueless as how to do the format while using the pendrive to restore the connectivity without getting those bloody viruses back :'(

See, if you can download a program listed below...

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  5. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  6. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" along with a new HijackThis log for further review.
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

Ran Combofix (Had to do twice since need connection to install some restore something). This is the log I got. I'm pasting the first log since the difference here was just a single line of lacking restore program, which wasn't present in the second having installed it, as such I removed that.

Attached Hijack this as well.

EDIT: After checking into the pendrive, trying to re-enable show hidden files and folders the hidden folder shows up. I went into the paths I could from it and this is what I got:

E:\RECYCLER\S-5-3-42-2819952290-8240758988-879315005-3665

In this folder there's a file called "jwgkvsq.vmx". Opening it is garbage, must be encrypted or some bin file. 162 KB in size. Date Modified: 4/14/2008 4:41 AM.

And that's basically 2 years ago, even though I formatted the pendrive just today =/

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    6.4 KB · Views: 1
  • ComboFix2.txt
    17.7 KB · Views: 1
Open Windows Explorer. Go Tools>Folder Options>View tab, put a checkmark next to Show hidden files, and folders.
Upload following files to http://www.virustotal.com/ for security check:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
If the file is listed as already analyzed, click on Reanalyse file now button.
Post scan results.

===========================================================================

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Vista users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
  • Copy the content of the following box into the main textfield:
    Code:
    :filefind
    wscntfy.exe
    regsvc.dll
    tcpip.sys
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

===========================================================================

1. Please open Notepad
  • Click Start , then Run
  • Type notepad .exe in the Run Box.

2. Now copy/paste the entire content of the codebox below into the Notepad window:

Code:
File::
c:\windows\system32\xlukgcjn.dll

Folder::

Driver::
enyws
mkbktmv
tgjaaveh

NetSvc::
enyws
tgjaaveh
mkbktmv

Registry::
[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile]
"EnableFirewall"=-
[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"4645:TCP"=-
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\enyws]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\mkbktmv]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\tgjaaveh]

RegLockDel::

MIA::
c:\windows\System32\wscntfy.exe
c:\windows\System32\regsvc.dll

3. Save the above as CFScript.txt

4. Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as depicted in the animation below. This will start ComboFix again.

CFScript.gif

5. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), please post the following reports/logs into your next reply:
  • Combofix.txt
  • A new HijackThis log.

Virustotal.com is blocked.

EDIT: Included the HijackThis and Combofix log files since those took some time to finish.

Attachments

• SystemLook.txt
    882 bytes · Views: 1
  • hijackthis.log
    7.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ComboFix.txt
    18.2 KB · Views: 1
The website loaded successfully [Thanks so far btw ;p] Check my post just above, since I updated it with the Hijack and Combofix logs. Uploaded the following file as instructed to virustotal:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys

Gave me "Already Analyzed" and hit reanalyze.

Not sure if this link will lead you to the results:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/...709547b93a2fc2421703eb288521122ec4-1269494055

If not I attached the file results itself in a notepad file, though they look kinda shitty lol.

EDIT: Both Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware became available, as such I downloaded both install files, though ain't running them unless you tell me to. Got them just in case I get locked out again from the websites.

Attachments

• Virustotal.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 2
Cool :)
VirusTotal report looks good.
Combofix report couple of system files missing:
c:\windows\System32\wscntfy.exe . . . is missing!!

c:\windows\System32\regsvc.dll . . . is missing!!
Attached are zipped both files.
Unzip them and put both files into c:\windows\System32 folder.

When done, re-run Combofix and post fresh log.
I don't need HJT log this time.

Excellent job :)
BTW, don't touch that pendrive until we're totally done with cleaning your computer and I'll tell you how to handle it. Remind me at the end, in case I forget.

Uninstall Combofix:
Go Start > Run [Vista users, go Start>"Start search"]
Type in:
Combofix /Uninstall
Note the space between the "Combofix" and the "/Uninstall"
Click OK (Vista users - press Enter).
Restart computer.

====================================================================

Print these instructions out.

NOTE. If any of the programs listed below refuse to run, try renaming executive file to something else; for instance, rename hijackthis.exe to scanner.exe

***VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure, you update Malwarebytes before running the scans.***

STEP 1. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php to your desktop.
(Malwarebytes is free to use as a manual scanner. Payment is only required if you wish to have it run and update automatically which is not necessary for our purposes)

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

RESTART COMPUTER!

STEP 2.
Post fresh HijackThis log.
NOTE. If you're using Vista, right click on HijackThis, and click Run as Administrator
Do NOT attempt to "fix" anything!

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

I'm going to bed now, so we'll continue tomorrow. I'll be around more, or less a whole day.

Thanks for the support so far. I'm broken myself, it's 7:30 am :p I'm leaving the logs so you can check 'em out and let me know what you think. Been a great help, fairly sure everything's being pieced back together slowly :p

Malware log attached. Attaching hijack log after restart

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-03-25 (07-28-50).txt
    1 KB · Views: 1
  • hijackthis.log
    7.1 KB · Views: 0
1. Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

2. Go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

1. Disable your active antivirus program.
2. Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
3. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
4. When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
5. Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:

• Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
    [*] Archives
    [*] Mail databases
6. Click on My Computer under Scan.
7. Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
8. You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
9. Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button. Then post it here.

Post fresh HijackThis log as well.

The Kaspersky scan has been going on for 3 hours, won't budge from 51%, seemingly checking compressed files. Not sure what to do about it.

So far found two files infected, mIRC. I don't know if it's checking out some heavily compressed file, what avast calls compressed bombs or something... would stopping it be a good idea? Maybe deleting those files in question.

EDIT: BTW, I plan on fully formatting my laptop once the pendrive is safe to do so, and as long as no viruses persist, so whatever shortcuts I can take, please highlight them :p

EDIT2: I've manually deleted those files and a lot of other junk - the scan jumped to 59%, progressing at a fairly steady rate now.

Stop Kaspersky.

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

• Disable your antivirus program
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Scan archives
  • Click Start
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push List of found threats
  • Push Export to text file , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

Kaspersky Report attached - Didn't notice you told me to stop it. The 3rd infection in E: that's the pendrive infection.

Should I run the ESET too or was that because Kasper was taking too long?

EDIT: Actually attached the bloody bugger now :p

Attachments

• Report.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
Sorry lol, check post above, attached log to it.

EDIT: Added hijackthis log as well, forgot about it at first.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    7.1 KB · Views: 1
Please download OTM

• Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click OTM to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • Copy the lines in the codebox below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

Code:
:Processes

:Services

:Reg

:Files
D:\mIRC\mirc.exe.BAK	
D:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe	
E:\RECYCLER\S-5-3-42-2819952290-8240758988-879315005-3665\jwgkvsq.vmx

:Commands
[purity]
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]

• Return to OTM, right click in the Paste Instructions for Items to be Movedwindow (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • Copy everything in the Results window (under the green bar) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it in your next reply.
  • Close OTM and reboot your PC.

Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes. In this case, after the reboot, open Notepad (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad), click File->Open, in the File Name box enter *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.

I was asked to restart so I did. Log popped up right after, copy paste follows:

Code:
All processes killed
========== PROCESSES ==========
========== SERVICES/DRIVERS ==========
========== REGISTRY ==========
========== FILES ==========
D:\mIRC\mirc.exe.BAK moved successfully.
D:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe moved successfully.
E:\RECYCLER\S-5-3-42-2819952290-8240758988-879315005-3665\jwgkvsq.vmx moved successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\Hosts moved successfully.
HOSTS file reset successfully

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: Administrator
->Temp folder emptied: 103634018 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 393469 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 128130 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 60336235 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 1728 bytes

User: All Users

User: Default User
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes

User: LocalService
->Temp folder emptied: 65984 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes

User: NetworkService
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\dllcache .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 4024 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 0 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 157.00 mb

OTM by OldTimer - Version 3.1.10.1 log created on 03262010_014542

Files moved on Reboot...
File move failed. C:\WINDOWS\temp\_avast5_\Webshlock.txt scheduled to be moved on reboot.

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back