Pri Master hard disk: S.M.A.R.T Status BAD,Backup and Replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that there has been post about this situation before and i have looked over it but i have questions of my own and i'm not sure if my situation is that similar to the other threads.

here's my situation:
I was scanning for some viruses on my brother's computer when it started lagging really bad. I decided to restart the computer but it ended up freezing. I've tried the alt+ctrl+ del method but that didn't work either so i manually closed it. When i booted up the computer a screen appeared and said:

Intel (r) Celeron (r) processor, 2.80 GHz
504 MB system RAM
Legacy keyboard....Detected
Legacy mouse........Detected
USB Legacy...........Enable

Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage devices..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured

Fixed Disk 0: PM-HDS722580VLAT20
(Ultra DMA Mode ATA/1000

ATAPI CD-ROM SM SAMSUNG DVD ROM SD-816B
ATAPI CD-ROM SS-SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F

Pri Master Hard disk: S.M.A.R.T Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press <f4> to Resume

when i press <f4> it went to a screen that said

a disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart

When i press ctrl + alt + del it restarted and ended up going to the skreen above and it wont load the window os.

I've heard that you can continue to use the computer if i disable the S.M.A.R.T function but how do you do that? Don't you need to go on dos or something? I'm so computer illerate. I need to backup my brother's files and send it back to the manufacturer or if there's an easier way to solve this problem. My brother and my father is definitely going to kill me. We just got this computer. Thank you very much and i'm sorry for being a nuisance if the answer is the same as the one in the other thread.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You should be able to disable the S.M.A.R.T function in your bios settings.

You can usually get to these by pressing the delete or F2 key at bootup.

It would seem that your HDD is getting ready to fail. This may not happen for a while, but nonetheless it is deffinitely a good time to backup all your important data.

Please see the following article for more info.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000184.htm

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thank you very much but i have went to the bios and there are no option for me to turn it off. I'm not exactly sure where to go after going to the bios screen. I've tried searching online to see how but all i got was changing the hd from "auto" to "disable" , but the only option that the bios gave me was changing fron "auto" to "user". Thank you very much

What are your system specs?

You can enter these in user profile at the top of any page, just click on edit profile.

If you`re not sure of your system specs then you can download the Everest programme from Here it will give you lots of info about your system.

Things we need to know. See HERE

Regards Howard :grinthumb

I can't open to the window os on mai brother's com so i can't test it out and i dont know everything on the computer. Here are the info that i know

CPU make and model - Emachines T2885
Processor - 2.80 GHz intel celeron processor
Hard drive make model and capacity - ATAPI CD-ROM SM SAMSUNG DVD ROM SD-816B - 80gb i think it's this.
Memory - 512 MB Ram
OS- Windows xp Home edition

If you take the side panel off the case then you should be able to see the mobo model maybe inbetween the pci slots. It should be printed on the mobo somewhere.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

hey. i have the same problem and i dont kno what caused it b/c my computer is maybe a little over a month old and i dont think my hdd would be going bad already. does ne one kno what causes this failure and how to fix it (i came home one day and we had the a/c off and it was 87 degrees in the room my comp is in and i kno thats not good for it but could that have cause this message b/c it started doing the lagging when i got home and it was hot so any help would be great. thanks

LilYumeStar said:
I can't open to the window os on mai brother's com so i can't test it out and i dont know everything on the computer. Here are the info that i know

CPU make and model - Emachines T2885
Processor - 2.80 GHz intel celeron processor
Hard drive make model and capacity - ATAPI CD-ROM SM SAMSUNG DVD ROM SD-816B - 80gb i think it's this.
Memory - 512 MB Ram
OS- Windows xp Home edition
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=338488#post338488

diamondskier360 said:
hey. i have the same problem and i dont kno what caused it b/c my computer is maybe a little over a month old and i dont think my hdd would be going bad already. does ne one kno what causes this failure and how to fix it (i came home one day and we had the a/c off and it was 87 degrees in the room my comp is in and i kno thats not good for it but could that have cause this message b/c it started doing the lagging when i got home and it was hot so any help would be great. thanks
can you get past POST?
download a HDD diagnostic program from the manufacturer of your HDD and run that to see if it picks up any errors..
does it make any unusual sounds (scratching etc)?

Tedster, i know your anti-emachines campaign is for the better of the world :D, but why'd you reply to a post/user that's nearly a year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back