Pri Master hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. status BAD, Backup and Replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
My motherboard is Intel 915GAV. where there are only one IDE channel. Now When I use my Hard Disk (Samsung 80GB, 72000 RPM) with this mother board its ok. But when I add any other harddisk or DVD/CD ROM with it as a slave, then it says "Pri Master hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. status BAD, Backup and Replace" during boot up and wait for "Press <F4>..." and after I press "F4" it takes much time to load OS(WinXP Sp2). And after loading if I check with Intel desktop Utilities there it pops up "ERR_SMART" or in details of Dard disk says "Status: Error ID=02". Now I think my hard disk is ok. Now please tell anyone how to solve this problem. If you need any more information please tell me. I will be waiting for your response. Thanks in advance.

Do you have any jumpers on your hard drive? Are they set correctly? It should be Master and Slave Present (if possible). The slave drive should be set to slave of course.

If you are using a 80-connector IDE cable, then it does matter which plug goes where. Black is master and grey is slave.

How about replacing your IDE cable?

In BIOS, have you set all your IDE devices and attributes to "auto"?

If your BIOS version is earlier than 0457, then you could try updating to the latest version.

Buy a SATA drive and remove the 80gig IDE. then get a usb 2.0 enclosure and put the 80gig IDE in it and use it to back up data.

there are utilities out there to force magnatize failing hard disk platters in order to refurbish them, but generally the expense isn't worth it. But that's a thought.

Nodsu said:
Do you have any jumpers on your hard drive? Are they set correctly? It should be Master and Slave Present (if possible). The slave drive should be set to slave of course.

If you are using a 80-connector IDE cable, then it does matter which plug goes where. Black is master and grey is slave.

How about replacing your IDE cable?

In BIOS, have you set all your IDE devices and attributes to "auto"?

If your BIOS version is earlier than 0457, then you could try updating to the latest version.
Yes boss, there was a problem with my IDE cable. I replaced it and now its smooth. Thanks you very much for your helping reply.

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar issue. I think I may know how to fix it, but I'm a bit confused if it'll work, don't wanna try it and screw something up... my error is

"Pri Slave hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. status BAD, Backup and Replace"

I saw the post about the IDE cable and the black being master, and grey being slave. I get the error with Black plugged into the 2nd harddrive with slave jumper in place. the Grey plug is in my CD drive. My master is plugged in via SATA.

How do I make this work? If I plug Black to CD and Grey to the harddrive, will that work?

The old issue in question was that the user had two IDE hard drives, not just one. Also, it turned out that the IDE cable was bad in the old part of this thread.

The error looks like it is saying that your hard drive is slave to the CD drive. Commonly the master is blue and the slave is gray, at least with newer cables. anyways, if the hard drive is infact slaved to the CD-ROM drive the CD-ROM drive has to be on the master and the drive will have to be on the slave.

I personally have the Hard Drive set to master and the CD-ROM drive set to slave, but it shouldn't really matter since your primary OS drive is SATA.

If this doesn't work try replacing the IDE cable.

Yeah, that didn't work. I noticed that on the motherboard there's the blue plug, and a white plug, even tried plugging the IDE to that, didn't recognize it at all. So I'll have to try a new IDE cable, which is weird because the cable works just fine for the CD drive. Worth a try tho.

Thanks

Yeah, the blue connector on the motherboard is the primary, the whitish one was the secondary. Did you try changing the HDD/CD-ROM configuration like I mentioned how I do it? it might work. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back