Primary/Extended/Logical Partitions - Only allowing me 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolios

I am trying to create 5 partitions on one of my drives but for some reason I can only get 4 set up. After 4, the last empty part of the drive won't give me the option of making it a partition.
If I try to make the 4th primary or if I make it extended, I can't use that last 10 gb's as another partition. Only if I combine the 4th and 5th part into just a 4th partition will it work out. But I really want this 5th partition.
Windows tells me that I can only have 4 primary which is why I tried to go the route of making the 4th and 5th extended - then logical.

Not working, all I get is details option on that last drive and no create a partition option.

Thanks in advance.

Reference to MS on this (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb457138.aspx) shows you are right in stating that windows only allows 4 primary partitions, but allows you get round this using an extended partition instead of a primary partition. I would have a read of the article and make sure you 1) are following the correct procedure and 2) not running into other issues such as minimum volumes and so on.

You can have four primary partitions. An "extended partition" is nothing more than a primary partiton that lets you to create logical partitions [inside] it. So the proper way to get more than 4 partitions would be to create an "extended" partition and then put some logical partitions inside it.

It would help if you bothered to tell us what software you are using and maybe post some screenshots or tables to show what you have done.

Thanks so much for the explanations.
Creating the extended partition and then multiple logical drives worked.
I was trying to create multiple extensions not realizing I could make multiple logicals within that one.

Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back