Primary IDE Master - Not Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - I have tried to replace the hd in my Sony VGC-M1. I bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 21 - 160Gb - PATA - ULTRA ATA. But in the bios I get the message as in the subject. I get an amber light next to the hd symbol. I have put the jumper on the first pins - as this is a master (and only drive). What am I doing wrong???

Thanks.

I suggest that you work with your Bios to see what is actually happening. Auto-detection is offered by most Bios'. In some instances, once detected, you can force this selection over auto-detection. Careful if going this route.

I also suggest that you use the new IDE cables that came with the new HDD.
I cannot explain if the 80 conductor cable guarantees any different results over the older 40 conductor cable.

You were pretty thin on details. I assume that this is an older computer running Win98 or WinME. Your reference to setting the jumper on the first pins should mean that you are using the pins closest to the IDE cable. Older cables without the blocked pin can be flipped wrong. Pin 1 of the IDE cable has a red trace and mounts toward the power connector.

If this is to elementary, I apologize. I need to start somewhere.

Is there a 2nd device on this IDE? If yes, then answer if it is ATA compatible. If non-ata compatible, then second jumper is needed according to this link http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=8a914a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

The bios is already on Auto-detect..... I didn't iirc get a new cable with the new hd. I can supply more details - let me know what I need to supply. It's not running anything right now - trying to install Vista - but if I can't get past the bios then... I have tried all jumper settings possible with one block - and without any block. Still the same. As per the original post - it's the only hd - no others.

Thanks.

When it comes to HDD recognition, it comes down to the bios, the IDE cable, the jumper, and the HDD controller (internal to the drive). Since you have covered the basics, I suspect the HDD.

Your computer is a P4; compact desktop; original HDD = 160GB (ide);

The Sony VGC-M1 is not available on the USA side of the Pond. It is available in Europe (http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/spec...ns.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=1&s=VGC-M&m=1757 ).

The link to the Maxtor DiamondMax21 (200GB) appeared on the USA site. I did not find a listing on the global page.

I know nothing about export restrictions, nor if it even comes into play here. I am just looking for differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back