TechSpot

Prime95 HARDWARE Error.. whats going on

By Keith22
Nov 4, 2007
  1. Okay i just built a new rig about a month ago and have been fixing bsod's one after another, first starting with ntune and now i have worked my way up to a hardware problem found in prime95? I had this a few days ago and i was told to take out a stick of ram ( from 4GB on XP home to 3GB ) and i did and prime95 found no errors after a couple hours. Now all the sudden with that same stick removed i have the hardware problem found... AGAIN! Here are my hardware specs;

CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad ( G0 )
    Board: EVGA nForce 680i SLI (p27 bios came with it, flashed to p30 for kentsfield core support, A1 Version)
    Video Card: EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB
    PSU: OCZ 700 Watt GameXstreme
    RAM: Corsair XMS2 PC-6400 800MHZ (4GB)
    OS: Windows XP Home ( i know.. 4GB w/ xp Home, my mistake )

And the Screen Shot:

[​IMG]

Anyone have ANY idea wtf is happening.. this is beginning to be quite the trouble. I have a theory that its my motherboard. It sometimes detects my mouse and one of my DVD rom's, and sometimes one of my fans plugged in via the 3 prong plug ( i THINK its 3 prongs ) on my mobo sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. It gets going if i spin it. Could that mean maybe its my PSU not supplying enough juice too? Any input helps, thanks alot.

2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

What voltage are you running the RAM at? Can you post a link to it.

3. Keith22

Keith22 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 37

4. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

Have a look at the label on one of the sticks to see if a voltage range is listed. From what I can find out they were tested at 1.9V (from the link below), I'm assuming you have 4 x 1GB sticks. So I would start by upping the voltage from 1.85 to 1.9.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/products/xms2.aspx

5. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

I'd say peterdiva is correct. Up the voltage to 1.9 and see what happens.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.