Printer Issue with USB Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not been able to get my Toshiba laptop running XP Home to communicate with the HP 812c printer as long as it was connected via my USB hub and not directly to the laptop. I was advised to buy an AC-powered USB hub, so I got the Belkin F5U237v1 with 7 ports. Same problem. Everything else (external HDD, mouse, keyboard, scanner, thumb drives, etc, all work great, but the printer just prints garbage - usually a few jumbled characters on a page and will keep chewing up paper until I turn it off and clear the queue. HP was no help. After seeing that their recommendation for an AC-powered hub didn't work, they advised me to just plug it back into the laptop directly and be done with it. The system recognizes the printer when I connect the USB plug and power it up. How do I diagnose this?

The post quoted before caught my eye becasue I have exactly the same problem with my euipment, except that I use an HP 990cxi. So, thinking it was something addressed on these forums, signed up to enjoy the reply.

Did anything come of this query, I would be most interested in knowing how to solve this problem,

Rupert

I have not been able to get my Toshiba laptop running XP Home to communicate with the HP 812c printer as long as it was connected via my USB hub and not directly to the laptop. I was advised to buy an AC-powered USB hub, so I got the Belkin F5U237v1 with 7 ports. Same problem. Everything else (external HDD, mouse, keyboard, scanner, thumb drives, etc, all work great, but the printer just prints garbage - usually a few jumbled characters on a page and will keep chewing up paper until I turn it off and clear the queue. HP was no help. After seeing that their recommendation for an AC-powered hub didn't work, they advised me to just plug it back into the laptop directly and be done with it. The system recognizes the printer when I connect the USB plug and power it up. How do I diagnose this?
Unquote

I had the same problem but with a Lindy powered hub. Binned it and connected a D-Link powerd hub - no problems since despite plugging all sorts of stuff into it. Some powered hubs have a nasty habit of feeding current back into the PC so that they will either not power on or power off.

A USB hub *may* interferr with the query used to determine the physical device type.
Thus your USB printer may be attached as a USB Generic device and load the wrong driver.

plug in the device and await it to be found. now right-click on the green check mark in the
system tray and then click the popup that occurs and you will see how the device was attached.
The top-most item shown will be your clue.

Thank you both, AlbertLionheart and jobeard - It's nice to make your acquaintance and I appreciate you taking the trouble to reply.

I delayed responding a little because I wanted to get to the end of the solution I found so I could report on whether I was successful.

In short I cheated.

AlbertLionheart's solution was something I had tried before of trying different hubs to see if I had some sort of local problem with the hub I was using. But always the same problem, an initial good print but thereafter nothing but pages of single line rubbish or nothing at all. So I decided to act on jobeard's approach.

Before I could do that, Fate clicked in. My SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) sent me off shopping, so I decided on a side trip to that expensive toyshop, PCWorld, thinking I might get a cheap no-nonsense USB Hub to try one last time. But then I saw the holy grail, a USB Hub that plugged into my wireless router via Ethernet and which had sufficient USB ports to cover my needs. I should add at this stage that I have been searching for a wireless set-up for some time where I can use my laptop all over the house without it's Casualty style of umbilicals littering the place and have an unencumbered desk.

As luck would have it, the Hub (Belkin Network USB Hub) was displayed in the wrong slot and the price displayed was half what it should have been. So my decision lacked my normal dithering being made on the wrong information, cost wise. But my decision turned out to be irreversible when I learnt the true cost.

So with that new device my problems were solved (or more honestly, avoided). The new Hub works well, albeit with an increase in booting time for the laptop. This Boot time is already excessive, so what's another 5 minutes or so!

Anyway - thanks for the advice which works, although not in a way any of us might have expected.

All the best

Rupert.

thanks for the feedback -- others will benefit from your experience :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back