Printer Sharing driver install question

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my home network, I have a netgear wireless router... (we also use the wired part of it for some PC's)

In the past, I shared out an epson printer from the computer thats always turned on, and on the PC's that we install the shared printer on, it downloads and installs the driver. I've noticed at work, when we install printers that are shared out from the server, it doesn't have to install the driver on the PC.

Is there a way to do this in XP? (Make it not have to install the driver on everyones machine) Or is this some kind of different service that the server runs and I would need a server OS to do this?

Thanks all...

At work, the shared printer is likely on the server but under the table, the drivers ARE being loaded to all PCs.

Nope, they are definitely not being installed, because none of the PC's have local administrator rights, so it wouldn't let them install anything if they tried.

if the $C or $IPC shares exist, then they can be installed.

this is a very common setup for systems admin on a domain controller environment.

Ok, but here’s why I'm still not sold...:

I'm linked to a Canon IR6020 shared from my server.

I don't see that printer anywhere in my driver lists when I search for it (as if I was going to install it locally thru the TCP/IP port instead...)

Also when I DO install it via the TCP/IP port as opposed to the network share, it takes a good 45 seconds to copy the drivers over.

When I double click the share, I can print to it almost instantaneously as if it had nothing to install.

correction: the shares are C$ and IPC$
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net share

Share name Resource Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
Printer Drivers
C$ C:\ Default share
ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
IPC$ Remote IPC

Printer PDF995PORT Spooled PDF995
Printer2 USB001 Spooled Canon-i860
The command completed successfully.​

from an admin/power user login, use a command prompt and run
net share

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the printers are installed as IP printers on the server and not connected directly to it?

the drivers are major requirements for sending data to a printer.
for example, Postscript output vs HP PCL.

there are generic drivers for both of these, but then you loose the features
specific to each brand/model.

For example, printing from my XP to a printer on a Mac, I loose the ability to
print specific forms eg: envelops. The color vs b&w options do work.

with the common shares, the server-admin can push updates to the client
systems during the evening shift when we're all (hopefully) home with the w/kids having dinner :)

But why wouldn't it be able to just send the job to the "print server" and have the print server do all of the driver work?

I just installed the Canon in our office locally on my PC using the IP port, and shared it out... I had my co worker connect to it from the share on my PC. Sure enough it didn't install any drivers; it just "Connected" to it. Almost like a drive mapping.

I am thinking that if the printer is connected to the computer via USB or Parallel, then it needs to push the drivers out to people, but if it’s an IP printer shared out from that PC, than it does not. Does this sound plausible?

Dan64456 said:
But why wouldn't it be able to just send the job to the "print server" and have the print server do all of the driver work?
that's what everyone would like. experience has shown otherwise
I just installed the Canon in our office locally on my PC using the IP port, and shared it out... I had my co worker connect to it from the share on my PC. Sure enough it didn't install any drivers; it just "Connected" to it. Almost like a drive mapping.
that certainly is interesting. one explanation might be that the driver was already installed on that system.
Modern systems have been shipped with preinstalled (or available) drivers and thus avoid the 'install step'.
Every time I help someone (locally) to install a network printer, the drivers
have needed to be configured on ALL systems (eg HP printers).
I am thinking that if the printer is connected to the computer via USB or Parallel, then it needs to push the drivers out to people, but if it’s an IP printer shared out from that PC, than it does not. Does this sound plausible?
already answered.

the bottom line is
1- selecting the printer (local or remote) and
2- formatting the output for that device
3- spooling / printing on the hardware​
If all is working for you, then S M I L E :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back