Printer sharing with NetBeui

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 PC's networked via Linksys BEFSR41.

One PC is running XP Professional and the other is running W2K professional.

For security reasons I am only using TCP/IP for the Internet connection, and I have removed the binding for TCP/IP to File and Printer sharing and also from Client for MS networks on both PC's.

I have successfully installed installed NetBeui on both computers.
I have defined the same workgroup name on both computers, and the NetBeui protocol is bound to File and Printer sharing and also to Client for MS networks.

However, I cannot see the other PC in Network Places on either computer.

I am trying to share a USB printer that is on the XP machine, so I can also print from my W2K machine. I have shared the printer, but as I mentionned nothing shows up in Network Places, nor can I connect using \\workgroup\computer_name. It gives me the error "the network path cannot be found".

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ancalagon

If you're behind a Router firewall there's no need to worry about file and printer sharing and NetBIOS. You can also get ZoneAlarm Pro for 4 computer license through Linksys, but the link to it is very hard to find. That should provide some extra security if you ever have need to put a computer into the DMZ. ShieldsUp is a good test of your open ports to the internet.

I found this on NetBEUI...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/netbeui.htm

You can also test your security at ShieldsUp https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

and here's the ZoneAlarm Pro for Linksys link...

http://linksys.zonelabs.com/linksys_tm_purchasepage.html

Thanks for your reply Tarkus...

My router/switch does have a built-in firewall, which I am using.

However, the reason I don't want to use TCP/IP for file sharing is because OF the Shields-up site. When TCP/IP is bound to file sharing Shields-up finds weaknesses in my security...

I will try to install Zone Alarm and see if that makes any difference. It's just bugging me that NetBEUI is not working, because in theory it should be...

Is it possible that NetBEUI won't work through the Linksys??, and if not, then would IPX be a possible solution??

The only time I've even remotely dealt with IPX and NetBEIU was on our old Traffic Control Stystem, so I can't really comment on those things.

I have nothing showing up on sheilds up. I'm stealth on their extended test. In the router setup I did forward port 113 to a unused IP behind my firewall and my ISP blocks port 135 and 445. Oh, and on the filters tab of the router the only thing I have enabled is MTU and Block WAN Requests. So between those and ZAP I'm fairly secure. Even without ZAP running I'm still stealthed, I just like it there to be sure things aren't trying to get out of my computer.

You shouldn't take those scans too seriously. Many "weaknesses" they find are totally insignificant and don't pose a real threat. Unless it is listed as something critical and you know what it is, the "weakness" can be ignored.

You Linksys should be quite enough to shield your Windows network from the internet.

Thanks...

Thanks for the replies.

I will definately go with TCP/IP then since it seems to be the easiest to configure on Windows workstations.

Thanks again.

Ancalagon

Originally posted by Ancalagon
I have 2 PC's networked via Linksys BEFSR41.

One PC is running XP Professional and the other is running W2K professional.

For security reasons I am only using TCP/IP for the Internet connection, and I have removed the binding for TCP/IP to File and Printer sharing and also from Client for MS networks on both PC's.

I have successfully installed installed NetBeui on both computers.
I have defined the same workgroup name on both computers, and the NetBeui protocol is bound to File and Printer sharing and also to Client for MS networks.

However, I cannot see the other PC in Network Places on either computer.

I am trying to share a USB printer that is on the XP machine, so I can also print from my W2K machine. I have shared the printer, but as I mentionned nothing shows up in Network Places, nor can I connect using \\workgroup\computer_name. It gives me the error "the network path cannot be found".

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ancalagon

I have my LAN set up that way, peer to peer 2k box and an XP box. I use static IP's but that shouldn't matter. I have both PC's in the same workgroup and have all user accounts duplicated on both PC's. I'm using an old 3-com router to share my cable connection using Tcpip. Works fine lasts a long time.:)

I have NetBEUI successfully installed on XP

So it is possible to use a router and NetBEUI between computers w/ XP. The way I have it set up might not work for you though. I have an incoming wireless internet connection and then I use the router ONLY for local area networking. On my Linksys router I have DHCP disabled....thus it won't try to assign an IP address, which is great since NetBEUI doesn't need one. Next I have followed these steps from PCHell.com.......

The files necessary for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys.

Complete the following steps to install NetBEUI:

1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and browse to the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
2. Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory.
3. Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.
4. Click Start , click Control Panel , and then double-click Network Connections .
5. Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties .
6. On the General tab, click Install .
7. Click Protocol , and then click Add .
8. Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK .
9. Restart your computer if you receive a prompt to complete the installation.

The NetBEUI protocol should now be installed and working.

NOTE : %SYSTEMROOT% is a Windows environment variable that identifies the directory where Windows XP is installed (for example, C:\Windows). To view the value associated with %SYSTEMROOT%, as well as other environment variables, at a command prompt, type set , and then press ENTER.

.....After that's complete you just use TCP/IP on your internet connection, and NetBEUI / MS PRINT and FILE SHARING on the other connection. as well as using NetBEUI/ MS PRINT and FILE SHARING on target pc...if you want file sharing that is :)

Make sure Windows Firewall is disabled on the connections using NetBEUI.

You are not really using the router for NetBEUI - the traffic on your local network goes through the switch half in your router and never touches the actual routing part.

Thanks for the guide though . I am sure someone will find it handy :)

Nodsu said:
You are not really using the router for NetBEUI - the traffic on your local network goes through the switch half in your router and never touches the actual routing part.

Exactly. The router can only route TCP/IP.

Come to think of it, that may be why his NETBEUI isn't working. I'm not sure if it works through switches either (which that router has built in).

You can enable NetBEUI over TCP/IP I think though to allow for routing.

I've used netbeui behind my router for file and print sharing with no problems. You want to make sure file and printer sharing is bound to netbeui only. By default it will bind to tcpip and netbeui (if installed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back