Printing from computer on network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two computers..both with Win XP SP2. I have a Lexmark Z52 printer connected to cpu1 via USB. I set up printer sharing on both cpu's.
On cpu2 I tried to print from the Lexmark. The software on cpu1 said "printing started" [yes- Lexmark talks] but the printer did not print. It then said "printing completed" I believe the software is correct and the printers are shared correctly but wonder if the USB cable from printer to hub to cpu1 is not sending the command.

Any ideas will be appreciated.(I hate printers with all talk and no action)

Joel

Is your computer recognized as being attached on computer1? Check in the control panel. Can you print locally from computer1 to the printer? Once that has been established we will divulge further into the networking problem.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

printing problem

The Lexmark Z52 is connected through a USB hub to cpu1. I have a westell 327W modem/router with a network cable to cpu2 6' away. No problem printing from cpu1,

On cp2 I show LexmarkZ52 on cpu1 when I search. If I try to print to Z52 from cpu2, the print box comes up on cpu1; it says "printing started" nothing happens then it says "printing completed". It thinks it printed, but the printer did not activate.

I'm guessing a hardware issue.

Joel

Printer not printing

The Lexmark had been installed on cpu2 originally. When I added the new cpu1, I connected the Lxmark to cpu1. The Lex software was still on cpu2. I enabled sharing on cpu2.

Since the main cpu1 with the Lx attached activates when I click "print" on cpu2, I'm guessing a cable problem. Refer to previous post on how attached.
The software tells it to print, but the printer doesn't print.
Joel

on the computer that physically has the printer. go to start>run>cmd from here type net share it will give you a list of all shared folders and devices this computer is sharing..

Is the printer listed here... if not share the printer....

on the computer that is not physically connected. go to start>settings>printers and fax..

from here you will see a list of installed printers.. is there a printer here that says something like the following lexmark xxxx printer on computer1

if not you have not installed the network printer correctly.

now. on both computers lets to ths.. go to start>run>type services.msc..

from here on the right widow pane you will see a bunch of services that run on your computer... look for the print spool service... stop and then restart the service on both systems. right click > click stop then right click and click start.....

also if you do a start>run> \\computer1 does the shared printer show up here.

another thing make sure you are printing to the correct printer in the specific application you are trying to print to..

joelsr said:
The Lexmark had been installed on cpu2 originally. When I added the new cpu1, I connected the Lxmark to cpu1. The Lex software was still on cpu2. I enabled sharing on cpu2.

Since the main cpu1 with the Lx attached activates when I click "print" on cpu2, I'm guessing a cable problem. Refer to previous post on how attached.
The software tells it to print, but the printer doesn't print.
Joel
It sounds like it is trying to print on the "old" install of the lexmark on cpu2. You need to tell it that it has moved to cpu1.
So do as urbandragon has said and diagnose that way. Once you can see the lexmark on \\cpu1 double click on it to install it on cpu2. All should be ok now.

thanks all.. but

I appreciate all the info, but I believe the problem lies in the physical connection.

The Lexmark is listed as shared on cpu1......the lexmark is listed as being on cpu1 when accessed on cpu2.. everything seems to be correct.

Now.. when I tell it to print from cpu2, why would the print command center come up on cpu1 and say "printing started" if there was a sharing or software issue?

Note... the lex is connected by usb to a hub connected to cpu1. I have a router with a network cable from the router to cpu2.

Does anyone have any ideas about sharing as it relates to the actual cables used and what they're connected to? Does USB work with network? Might hub be affecting it? I appreciate all the efforts. Thanks for trying.

Joel

I suppose the hub could be a problem. Can you get take it off for testing purposes?

I would remove the printer from CPU2 completely including the shared printer. Make sure there is no software for it in add/remove programs, then reinstall it from the network location (CPU1). It could be that the printer (driver) is sending print jobs to your local port, which has no printer. It may send it to an unused port thinking that the print device is hooked up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back