TechSpot

Printing with a green tint?

By tm5rto
Sep 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, everyone!

Does anyone here familiar with what could be causing all of my printers to print with a greenish tint?

I was using HP Photosmart printer for my photo printing for awhile. When it started to print green tint, I figured a good reason to upgrade. The newer model of HP Photosmart printer worked great for awhile, started to print green again. I got rid of them, and started to use my old Canon S600 for general printing. And now my S600, after years of great performance, started to print green also.

Of course now I suspect that it might be one of the programs I'm using, that it might be corrupting the settings or something like that. I do still use Microsoft Picture It 2.0, even though I also have the Picture It 10. I like to use the 2.0 because to me it's more user-friendly. I use it for most of my limited photo "manipulations", including printing.

Anyone has a good idea what the cause for the green tint is? I just don't have the time to install/uninstall different programs, play with settings, etc. I'd really appreciate some help with this!!!

2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 899   +39

Is there an option within Printing Preferences that will let you change settings for Cyan, Magenta, or Yellow? Somehow those got changed? What about color management? Does your printer driver have this?

If you select the printer from within Control Panel and do a printer test, you get green tint as well?

3. tm5rto

tm5rto TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 86

Hi, Rabbit01! Thanks for the reply!

When I print a test page (nozzle check), the blocks G, H, and F are printing green. Everything else is fine.

There is Color Management, it's set on Automatic. In the Manual mode, I can choose from a number of color profiles, but I have no idea which ones would be better than the default. I tried two of them, and it still printed green.

Under Printing Preferences, it's set on Auto, I can adjust the colors on Manual, but the settings look normal. I adjusted to less yellow, no difference.

I'm stumped. Since it's happened to all of my printers, I'm sure it's some program that's corrupting something.

4. Rabbit01

Not familiar w/ blocks G, H and F, as I haven't dealt w/ Canon printer. I was thinking maybe the program Picture It is using it's own color profile for the printing and that somehow got messed up. But since it's doing the same from within print test, perhaps it's a driver issue.

I'd suggest remove printer from Devices & Printers or Printers & Faxes, depends on whether you're using Win7 or XP. Then uninstall whatever Canon software you installed along w/ the printer. Run ccleaner & do a registry cleaning then reboot.

Then start over w/ just the drivers install first. And see what happens.

It's really puzzling that both the HP & Canon printers are doing the same thing. I have had color issues before, but that was due to low ink or clogged nozzles. These doesn't appear to be it in your case.

5. tm5rto

Thanks, Rabbit01! I tried it before with the HP printers, maybe it'll work with Canon. It's really puzzling

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,443   +220

If you happen to be using the same printer cable for all of these printers, perhaps you could try another cable.

7. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,372   +167

I don't really know anything about your problem other then googling windows print green tint

If misery loves company, i was surprised to see how many similar posts over the years! Although not alot of good answers. Tho here's another thing to look at: Are you running Vista or Win 7? See these links from M$ and check / try reset to defaults under Color Management as well
    > Color management settings: frequently asked questions
    > Change color management settings

8. tm5rto

Thanks, folks!
    I'm actually running XP Pro still :) The Canon printer actually dates back to Window 98. It worked great for a long time, until now. I don't mind upgrading the printer, but whatever is causing the green tint will corrupt the new printer, I'm afraid.

9. LookinAround

It's not clear from your paragraph above: When a printer starts printing green
    > I'm guessing you only get green when you print color? not b/w?
    > Could it be the color cartridge needs changing when it starts printing green? Have you tried replacing the cartridge? (your above quote only seems to say you switched printers so just double checking)

10. LookinAround

11. tm5rto

Sorry for the confusion. It only prints greenish on a color print job. B/W are fine.

I did change ink cartr several times, played around with settings, did a printhead clean. When nothing worked, I figured it was the printer, and replaced it. But it happened to all my printers now.

12. tm5rto

Oh, yeah. Uninstalled and re-installed printer and drivers. Zip.

13. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,164   +175

"Sorry for the confusion. It only prints greenish on a color print job. B/W are fine."

Greenish black prints when in color mode can be when the printer tries to use the color cartridges for producing a "pseudo" black (i.e. combining the colors to try to make a black mix). For some reason your printer sounds like it is not using the black cartridge for the black parts of those color prints.

14. tm5rto

OK, I just selected monochrome/sepia setting, and it printed again with greenish tint.

15. Rabbit01

Have you tried printing using another computer or maybe boot up your computer using some Linux live CD? I'm not certain, but I'd imagine there's some generic printer driver on the live CD. The idea is figure out whether it is your particular Windows install that's causing the printing problem or hardware problem. If the problem still exists using those methods, then it's a hardware issue.

Maybe try cleaning the electrical contacts on the ink cartridge and the print head holder w/ the eraser at the end of a pencil also.

16. tm5rto

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.