Proactiv = Spyware?

By Sil
May 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OMG, Why did DAP do this? :mad:

When I rebooted my PC earlier, something weird happened. I had my earphones on, when my desktop started up, I started hearing some audio playing in the background. But WMP wasn't open. It was that Proavtiv paid advertisement I was hearing (the one with Vanessa Williams) and I had no idea where it was coming from. For a sec, I thought I had a worm, or spyware, maybe a virus. I'm this close to running Ad-Aware and Norton. So I check the startup programs, maybe it's coming from there. Turns out, the audio was coming from a Flash ad in Download Accelerator (I have the demo). And DAP is one of my startup programs, so it starts in the systray. Wow.

Is this going a little too far? Anyone else get this and freak out? ;) Or am I the only one? :unch:
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

YOU have gone too far, by downloading that crap adware program!
    Uninstall and replace it with the free, much better Stardownloader from www.stardownloader.com
    No spyware, no adware, no expense!
  3. Sil

Sil Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 30

LOL DAP? Adware? Nahhh :angel:

Edit: k, I'll try that prog.
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Concur, star downloader is much better.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.