Prob intalling xp on HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtehrmo

Hello, i have MSI 845E mobo, works fine but theres one problem. When i try to intall windows xp, it lets load up the cd setup, formats the disk, copies all neccesary files, but when it restarts to continue the setup, it does not boot. It stays on a black screen with a blinking underscore on the upper left screen. So it does not even try to boot i guess. Everything is completely correct connection wise, i have done a basic device boot, with only the hd, cd,ram, and keyboard. But still the same problem. I have spent 5 hours on this problem, and i have come to the conclusion that it has to be the mobo. But you guys might know if im doing something wrong or if the mobo requires something to be done to it before i can install a OS on the harddrives.

Thank you,

OH, and the Hard drive does work.

if u have another pc u can try the HD in that other pc to c if the HD loads xp. also did u load the mobo drivers N update the bios for ur mobo.

No i have not done that. How can i update it if it wont even boot up or install the os. The HD does work, because i was using it on my other computer. and it was the master. I guess i can find a floppy somewhere and try to update the bios from there. But again, i have installed 4 other pcs with that same model mobo, and they did not require any updates.

What was on the hard drive before? You can try wiping the beginning of the thing to make sure there is no weird partition table or suchlike that could confuse Windows.

I had same problem with my pc awhile ago, I couldn't get XP on my system, would only install Windows Me, I eventually bought a new HDD and XP installed first time, don't know how old your HDD is but you might want to check compatabilty with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back