Prob with 5.1 speakers, pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

infamous

well, you all know its christmas. I went and bought Sound BLASTER Live! a sound card that supports 5.1 speakers. then i went and bought the logitech Z-640 speakers. I went home, installed the sound card no prob. Set up the speakers, connected all the cords in the right places, the middle speaker cords into the sound card. But when i turn on some music, nothing came out of the speakers. i checked everything, in the instruction booklet, it said to hook the middle speaker cords to the sound card, thats what i did. But nothing happened. So i tried hooking up the same cords to the former spot that my other speakers were plugged into. Yes sound did come out. But only from the sub woofer, and the 2 front speakers. I re-installed the drivers and everything. Still nothing. Can someone help?

Try checking that 5.1 surround sound is selected in the Windows control panel, under Sounds and Multimedia (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Sound and Multimedia). Choose the Audio tab, press the Advanced button under Sound Playback, and choose 5.1 surround sound from the pulldown box. Restart and see if that works.

Also, check to ensure that all the cables from your speakers are plugged into where they should be. Sometimes mixed up cables can be the most overlooked problem.

ok new prob, i did that, it dont work :(. i set the audio default selector to my sound card instead of my on-board sound. ok, i plugged in all the correct cords and such, now only my center speaker is working, but its all staticy and chalky. i can hear the music but its really really bad because of the static. ty for your reply though.

ive tested the speakers on the on-board sound, the front 2 speakers and subwoofer work, but nothing else. so i changed the cords into the sound card, and now the problem is stated above :/. the crapppy thing is, i bought the sound card at best buy, since i opened it, i cant return it, if it is truly really defective, even when it was in the box, i still cant return it. their excuse would be, "what if u banged it against something". which i didnt. i checked for static electricity, everything.

Originally posted by infamous
the crapppy thing is, i bought the sound card at best buy, since i opened it, i cant return it, if it is truly really defective, even when it was in the box, i still cant return it. their excuse would be, "what if u banged it against something". which i didnt. i checked for static electricity, everything.

Take it back.....they shouldn't give you any grief about it. Just tell them they're defective and either trade it outright for another same model or get another.....or just get your money back and shop elsewhere. If they start giving you grief....just get REALLY LOUD about your dissatisfaction. They really hate that. :D

lol, kk, i'll go there tomorrow. actually that really works most of the time lol. Usually if u dont get upset they'll just shoo you. My mom always does that when something goes wrong, and they're always like, "mam, settle down, how about we just replace the item for free?"

I can't tell from your posts if is defective or or a setup error. What do you mean by middle speaker cords into the soundcard? (by the way I have almost the same setup 'cept I have the z-680 speakers)

ummmm, the middle speaker has 2 sets of cords, one that goes to the on-board sound OR the sound card, and the other that goes to the subwoofer. when i set my sound card as the primary audio, plug the black, green, and orange jacks in the sound card, the middle speaker and the sub woofer(barly) works, and its realllllly staticky. ive been researching on the net, almost all people that have a sound trouble, says, that the middle speaker wont work, but everything else does lol. im the exact opposite.

yup

i got a new sound acrd today, they replaced it. but the same problem still occurs. there is still a little window message that pops up in the corner saying

"There has been a problem in the Hardware Installation, the hardware might not work"

i just remember it now, sorry. but i did nothing wrong, its plain and simple,

1. remove card from package
2. locate available PCI slot
3. insert card into PCI slot
4. insert an Analog CD audio cable for analog CD audio output
OR
5. insert Digital CD audio cable for digital CD audio output
6. hook everything back up
7. turn on computer

i dont knwo what went wrong

You need to stick with one sound card and stop switching between the onboard and the live card. Then disable your onboard sound and anything else relating to the card ie midi joystick etc. Then uninstall your onboard sound drivers and software. Remove the sblaster card and uninstall its drivers and software also. Now you will have a fresh start. Replace your sounblaster card and make sure you have latest drivers and software for it, also check you have latest directx. When asked what speaker setup you have ensure you select the correct one for your setup. If you still have problems try connecting your speakers to a video/dvd or stereo player to check them.

Good Luck

kk good it works, now the only prob is, i cant get all 5 speakers to work. Now only my 2 front an sub works. my center work if i press matrix, but that that would be like 2.1 speakers.

Ok I had that same problem with the same setup which I got for Xmas. What did I do? Well I installed everything that was on the CD that came with my soundcard.. that is how I got it to work. The first time, I just put in the soundcard and went to add new hardware, and then I just chose the CD drive. Second time I went the setup on the CD and that worked. My only problem right now is when I have them hooked to the computer, the back right speaker is a whole lot lower in sound than the rest. I have another thread on this problem though.

kk, everything is good now. but my center speaker doesnt work, ne sugggestions?(sorry if some1 else already brought up ne of these probs)

Hmm... make sure that your yellow wire from the center speaker is plugged into the computer. Also make sure that the volume nob for the center speaker is all the way up, and make sure you have matrix pushed if you want it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back