Probable harddrive probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryant4114

Basically, my hard drive pretty much corrupted itself out of nowhere. Screwed up the MFT for no reason beyond all repair. Kept trying to format, reinstall windows, yet it just kept corrupting itself worse and worse

So i get a new harddrive, and this just freezes and shuts itself down for no reason whatsoever. Thought it was to do with the progs i started to reinstall. Format it again, put windows on again. Starts doin it again, try repairing it but starts doing it during the installation process. So i have to format it again, clean install and it still does it

Basically itll just freeze, restart then itll repeat that before i can even get to the desktop on restart. Only once i go to safe mode will it let me back onto desktop on normal mode until it screws up again. Already ran memtest and that checked out fine.

I'm guessin this is an incompatibility thing with my harddrive? If so how do i find out what type i have/what i need.

----

New HDD: Hitachi HTS548100M9AT00
* Capacity 100GB
* Rotational speed (rpm) 5,400
* 8MB Data buffer
* Interface - ATA-6 hard disk drive
* Areal densities of up to 70Gbits/sq.inch
* Operational shock rating of up to 200Gs (2ms)
* Latency (average ms) 5.5
* Max. media transfer rate 450 Mbits/sec
* Max. interface transfer rate 100MB/sec Ultra DMA mode-5
* 16.6MB/sec PIO mode-4

Seek time:

* Average (typical) 12ms
* Maximum (typical) 2.5ms
* Minimum (typical) 23ms

Old one: Toshiba MK8025GAS 80GB / IDE100

* 80GB capacity
* 9.5mm High
* 4200 RPM rotational speed
* 12ms Average Seek Time
* ATA-6 Interface
* 100MB/sec Transfer Rate
* 8MB Buffer
* 300,000 MTBF Hours

Other than that, Athlon XP 3400, Radeon 9600/9700 series, 1 Gig of ram and i havent had probs with any of these. Previously it was overheating but that just made it shut down without freezing

Just in case, did you set the jumper to the same position as the old one?

I'm not sure how you set jumpers on 2.5 hdds, but in both cases theyve been the only hdd in use, could this be the problem then, the new one being set to slave?

The sticker on the back of the new hdd mentions the jumper settings, i'm guessing i have to take it apart for that

Is this the most likely cause then?

It is a possible cause of the problem. You don't have to take anything apart to set the jumper. The jumper is a little plastic/metal piece that you pull off (you might need a tweezer or needle nose plier because it's so small) and push back onto the correct pins. If you look closely at the back of the hard drive, you should see master, slave and CL (cable select). It's the same as on the back of optical drives.

Anyway, if you have two devices on the same IDE cable, one should be set to master and the other to slave. If there is only one device on the cable, set it to master. If your motherboard supports it, you could set both to cable select but let's not go there for now.

Never mind, i've fixed it now by installing a copy of XP Home on it instead of Pro, and its seemed to have worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back