Probably a stupid question...

By josbd
Dec 10, 2003
  1. so a newbie apologises! I have an MSI mobo hanging about that takes "up to Athlon XP 1900+".. so I thought I would do some trawling about for a cpu.

My question is this: why is the Athlon XP1800+ more expensive than the Athlon XP1900+?

And which one would you guys recommend I get?

Thanks in advance, and once again apologies for a **** type question!
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

-One answer is demand and supply. Anyway, who cares... how much money do you have?

-The fastest one you can afford.
  3. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

could also be related to them having different cores maybe.
  4. josbd

josbd TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 195

Thanks chaps. I dont actually have a great deal to spend, and as this will be my first build (erm bit scary!) I decided to use the mobo I had which is an MSI K7N420 Pro. It is an ATX mainboard and has sound and graphics onboard. Both processors seem to be Palomino and I just cant see why the "faster" chip would be cheaper than the other, but hey, as stated: "who cares" heheh! Anyway, I shall carry on reading the boards for info, and any info would be very much appreciated.
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

It could be that certains boards have problems with multipliers used above the one in the 1800+ ( 11.5x ).

It's a bit like EDO Ram being more expensive then SDRam & PC133 SDRam being more expensive the PC2100 DDRam. It could simply be shops trying to squeeze that extra money out of people that don't have the choice.[​IMG]
  6. DaveSylvia

DaveSylvia TS Rookie Posts: 107

Just thought I'd let you know that according to MSI's website, the K7N420 Pro supports both the Athlon XP 2400+ & the Athlon XP 2600+. You may need to flash your bios and if thats the case many here will caution against that (although I personally don't think its anything to be frightened by).

Here's the link to the bios page for your motherboard:
  7. josbd

josbd TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 195

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and help. Yep, flashing the bios does instill fear, but nothing ventured etc!

I very much appreciate everything guys!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.