Problem adding IDE HDD to ASUS A7N8X-E with existing SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I am trying to add a second HDD (Maxtor IDE 160GB) on my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mob which has an 80GB SATA HDD. The OS is WIN 2K (SP4).

Before adding the IDE, BIOS reads Primary Master=None & Primary Slave=None, yet the PC boots up just fine. Also, under advance BIOS page, SATA appears as HDD-0. The boot order is: 1)floppy, 2)CDROM, 3)HDD-0.
IDE jumper is set as slave before adding it to the Mob. As soon as IDE is added, the PC wants to boot up to it which of course has no OS causing the boot to halt.
I then set the jumper as master; the PC still wants to boot up to the IDE. Please note: the IDE HDD has been formatted “logical” using Max Blast software.

Can anyone shed a light on this. I’m getting very frustrated, hating to give up on a perfect 160GB IDE HD.

Thanks very much,
Soheil

Which IDE controller and which connector (end or middle) and where is the cd/dvd and connected how also.

edit: Have you looked at boot settings in Bios after connecting the IDE - it seems that last drive added gets to the front of the line sometimes - :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back