Problem annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grr_San_jose_Ca

i get this message every time i open a program or close a program if you guys have any thoughts or help please let me know what i can do thanks this is the message

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience (<---- so annoying!!!)

A couple of things for you to try.

1: Click start/run and type scf /scannow

Make sure you have your Windows cd handy as you might need it. This will scan your system for corrupt or missing OS files and replace as necessary.

2: If that doesn`t help. Try a Windows repair as per this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :)

There are a number of trojans and spyware programs that can cause exactly what you are describing.

Not all security software will notice these either. My roomie's laptop, for example, had all the latest McAffee Antivirus and Internet security software and did scans weekly but totally overlooked these trojans.

AVG can find them, as can Lavasoft's AdAware Pro.. both freely downloadable. I'd recommend starting by installing these and running them.

If you're a bit more Windows savvy, you can also rather quickly check yourself with regedit and doing a find on "explorer.exe" and looking at all the bazillion keys with %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe (params). You'll have to manually click on these as the trojans I've found that hook on to this add like a TON of spaces to the end, then the trojan.. such as:
SomeKey="%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /iidit %i %k

(like 500+ spaces later) minstall.exe"

Which basically launches an explorer.exe process with a trojan attached, which can error on exit. In regedit, due to the spaces, just looking at the key wont show as it's scrolled way past the right margine of the viewer.

Sneaky bastages...

Thanks guys im installing the adware one right now unfortunatley i dont have the windows cd i dont know where it is i just moved again i think it might be in my garage behind lots of other boxes for now i will try to do the adware and if any of you guys have any other thoughts on what might be happening let me now b/c when i open say MY pictures or any other folder for that matter that pops up its so annoying jeesh

Be sure to get AVG Free too.. You can get it at:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5

Run it's update first to get the latest definitions, then do a scan.

There are a large number of trojans/spyware that do this now and neither one get's them all.. but the combo of the two seems to get just about all together. My roomie's laptop, Adaware found a couple, then AVG found two more.. and now it's clean and no more annoying errors.

If this isn't it (which I'm hoping since this is the most common cause I've run into lately)... you're pretty much down to two other common possibilities:
1) As howard mentioned, some of your system files have been corrupt. Time to start tearing apart the boxes in the garage for the cd! I feel you here man as I just got done moving myself.. still 50% in boxes lol.
2) You have a hardware or hardware configuration issue. Best way to rule this out is to check temps/voltages, as well as download and create a bootable floppy or cdr with memtest86+ and run this overnight 6/7 passes to see if it returns any errors.

Let's hope it's just one of these newfangled virii/trojans though. I've been finding many folks with them.. easy enough to remove too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back