Problem connecting laptop wirelessly to orange live box

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhawk

i have a new acer laptop and surprise surprise, can't seem to connectwirelessly to my orange livebox with it

ihave the wep code and i have switched the wireless thingy in the acer on

i did once connect to another person's wireless thing but not meaning to do anything dishonest
but i can't seem to make it conect to my own wireless - source namely the livebox attached to my pc

the acer does show the livebox on the list of available networks - so i assume- i hope rightly- that that means that the wireless receiver bit is working and that the live box is giving out a signal

the acer has what i take to be software called net manager which is, i think, supposed to be able to sort these things

i'm in a muddle mainly because my brain was broken by a stroke but not so badly that i cannot write this- iused to be quite bright before i became a cripple

thanks for reading this badly typed drivel , if you did

The orange livebox has to be set for broadcasting, and because you can see it in the Acers network list, all is well except either the WEP key is wrong or you have not set the livebox to discover or assign IP adresses automatically... You may have to type in an IP address manually

Sorry for your stroke, but you might need a little more personal help with this task. Is there someone, a friend or associate that might be available to help you?

i am certain sure that the wep key is correct - i have no idea what an ip address is-i'm a cripple that lives all alone in sheltered housing and know no-ome who knows about these things which is why i'm trying this - thankyou for replying i live in england in the uk - what does assigning an ip address mean or do?-i'm sorry i am so stupid

I'm sorry vhawk,
If you don't understand what I am trying to tell you here, I don't know what else I can do. Surely you can contact someone there, like the people that supply you with your Internet hookup or Internet Service Provider (ISP). IP stands for Internet Protocol. Your system and every computer in the World has an IP Address... You must assign an IP address to your laptop. Normally this is done automatically, but somewhere along the line, your laptop has not been assigned one yet

thanks for trying mayne orange can help- other wise its a lost cause and i shall just have to give up

please forgive me , but what does assigning an ip address to the laptop actually acheive?

"I have a new acer laptop and surprise, surprise, can't seem to connect wirelessly to my orange livebox with it"...

This is what assigning an IP Address fixes. Grab a phone book and tell your provider what is highlighted above. They will tell you what you need to do

thanks, but if the laptop cannot be connected to the internet, how can it have an ip address?

I'm getting a little tired of explaining this issue. Just do what I said and call your Internet provider and say this:

"I have a new acer laptop and surprise, surprise, can't seem to connect wirelessly to my orange livebox with it"...

and be sure to take your meds

all sorted now turns out i was trying to connect to the wrong livebox a dear chap from orange in india pointed me right apparently pushing the pairing button at the right moment did the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back