TechSpot

Problem connecting to Google

By RD800
Sep 10, 2007
  1. I am using a Netgear WGT624 v3 router. I have a desktop attached to it directly through the LAN card and I use my laptops to get the wireless network. When I use the desktop I can go to the Google pages, and the other Google related services like (Google talk, Google updater, etc.). But, if I am using the laptop through wireless network I cannot connect to those web sites.

Strangely, if I connect my computer directly to the router with a LAN card, I can connect to those sites and services. I took my computer to my friend’s place who uses a different wireless router, and there I was able to connect to Google through wireless network.

I restored the computer to the original factory settings and still I am having the same problem. I have Windows XP home edition – service pack 2, Ad Aware 2007 (free version) and Symantec Anti Virus 10.1.5. I am using Firefox, but if I use IE, I still get the same problem. I also tried to clear DNS cache by running the "ipconfig /flushdns" command from MS-DOS. Can anyone help me fix this problem? Thanks,

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

This sort of problem is usually related to a firewall or the security settings in Internet Explorer (IE).
    Try turning off the firewall pro tem to see.
    IE - go to tools > internet settings > security > restricted sites and check that google is not listed.

3. RD800

RD800 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you. I checked. But nothing there. It says "No sites in this zone".
    Any other ideas,

4. AlbertLionheart

I have to admit I'm foxed by this one. Any of the gurus got any ideas?

5. RD800

6. AlbertLionheart

Interesting - maybe this is caused by the firewall in the router. I would try resetting the router back to exfactory and reconfiguring it.

7. RD800

I went to the routerlogin.net and used my login and password. But, did not find anything in the blocked list. But, is there a way I can set the router back to ex factory settings? Thanks,

8. AlbertLionheart

Before you reset the router, turn off the security, firewall and NAT if you can and then see if there is a change.
    Otherwise, there are usually 2 ways. First it a reset button on the back/underneath of the router, Press and hold for a count of 20. Note you may need something a bit longer than a biro to reach in.
    Second, look in the system settings and there should be a factory reset option.

9. RD800

I reset the router. Then google worked for a while. Now it's back giving me the problems again. I cannot go to google.com, but I can chat with g talk. (at least for now). Really wierd. Any more thoughts. Thanks,

10. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +621

11. RD800

When trying to do - PING $GATEWAY
    I get a error
    "Ping request could not find host $gateway. Please check the name and try again."

When trying to PING WWW.GOOGLE.COM
    I am getting this error -
    "Pinging ww.1.google.com [64.233.169.103] with 32 bytes of data
    Request time out
    Ping statistics for 64.233.169.103 with 32 bytes of data
    Packets: Sent 4, Received 0, Lost 4 (100% loss)"

Is there a way to fix these problems. Thanks,

12. jobeard

$GATEWAY is a symboli name for the ISP address to which your modem
    is attached. When looking at my config, it shows up as
    Default Gateway 75.82.128.1​

so I would PING 75.82.128.1. This test shows that my ipconfig and the
    subnet mask is correct enough to at least talk to my isp

From my ISP, google's addresses are:
    Name: www.l.google.com
    Addresses: 74.125.19.99, 74.125.19.104, 74.125.19.103, 74.125.19.147​
    but your address is another valid one from your side of the Internet
    Name: yo-in-f103.google.com
    Address: 64.233.169.103
    The ability to map www.google.com into a valid ip-address indicates your
    DNS settings are also valid! The usual problem is not finding the address
    while you are not able to ping the address :(

The most likely candidate for the cause of this condition is a BLACK list on your system OR
    an errant firewall setting.

13. AlbertLionheart

The fact that it worked for a while before failing again makes me wonder about the router - perhaps it needs a BIOS update or maybe even replacing?

14. jobeard

the ability to resolve www.google.com into an ip-address shows that the
    link from the user to the isp is ok AND that a request to port 53 (ie dns) is
    open on the firewall.

If ping fails on that address, then ICMP is being block by the router or the firewall.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.