Problem deleting cetain folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyam77

Hello everyone,
I am using windows XP Pro with serv pack 2. Everything is up to date.I have no virus and spyware clean.
When i access a folder that I have created and that I try to delete it I get an error message.
Can't delete files/or folders because it is use by someone or by another program.
I have no program open.I try checking for process running, but can't find a program that could be using it.

Any advice??

It may be that Windows is generating thumbnails for that folder or that your virus scanner is still scanning its contents. Just wait a minute and try again.

You can also try removing the folder by using the command line.

Nodsu said:
It may be that Windows is generating thumbnails for that folder or that your virus scanner is still scanning its contents. Just wait a minute and try again.

You can also try removing the folder by using the command line.
My machine has been open since last night and I still can't delete it. I tried from command prompt and i get the same error message.So far the only I can remove it is by logging off. Which is kinf of annoying!

I was able to delete the folder without loggin off. I went in task manager and i ended the process explorer.exe. I then restarted it. Now it works. I still would like to know why this is happening, but at least i have a workaround.

You should NEVER stop the process explorer.exe
That is the ONE program that should run at all times.
Next time, give ud the folder-name and be more specific, the folder-name might have a weird character (like a ?) in it, which makes it [almost] impossible to delete.
Anyway you are sorted, glad for you.

I'm talking about personal folders that I have created. There is no weird characters.
I stop the process and then started the process in task manager.
thanks for the reply

lyam77 said:
I'm talking about personal folders that I have created. There is no weird characters.
I stop the process and then started the process in task manager.
thanks for the reply
are these folders short cuts from other programs you created ?You say personal what did you open these from ?

Deleting unwanted (temperary"desktop" folders)

I've run into this problem from time to time, and the only sollution I've found that work for getting rid of it was to reboot! After rebooting there was never a problem deleting the folder after that! (another one of window, querks if you will...) :suspiciou

Paul said:
are these folders short cuts from other programs you created ?You say personal what did you open these from ?
The folders are not shortcut. Let say I put a file on my desktop or in my document.Then I want to replace it.If the file is no longer needed.
Instead of rebooting I restart explorer.exe process.

I had the same problem recently

I couldn't delete the folder as it had an .exe file that was still in use apparently. It wasn't. The workaround was to close down the explorer.exe (not shutdown the process, but the program), reopen it, and then delete the folder. I had used the compatibility mode on a .exe file in the specific folder in question, so maybe a minor bug related to that. Dunno. But at least the folder is gone and the problem is out of my world. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back