Problem: Folder opening at Window Startup

By Nathan123
Sep 11, 2007
  1. Hello,

I have a little problem with Windows startup; any help be very appreciated!

Since the de-installation of a program (Spybot), a window opening its (former) folder opens during each startup. The folder (which actually shouldn't exist anymore, since I uninstalled the program!) contains no files but only two subfolders dubbed "plugins" and "updates". While the former is empty, the second contains a file named "online.ini". I refrain from deleting the whole folder (and its subfolders) fearing that this could prompt complications as it is opened during each system startup.

Using msconfig, I cannot determine any startup process that could be responsible for the opening of the folder window. Same is true for regedit.

The Question: What could be the cause of this problem and how could it be solved? Don't want this folder to pop up every time I start my computer.

Thanks a lot for your help!
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Perhaps the easiest solution might be to reinstall SS&D, then try uninstalling it again.

Regards Howard :wave::wave:
  3. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

I would delete all the Spybot folders and subfolders etc. This should stop the reappearance of them.
  4. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Posts: 293

Check in your startup's folder.

This may cause an error message relating to folders not found.
  5. BlameCanada

BlameCanada TS Rookie Posts: 320

Run CCleaner and RegScrub XP if necessary.
  6. matav

matav TS Enthusiast Posts: 144

if the folder opens on startup, just remove it from the start-up process.
    use "msconfig" or "regcleaner" or "ccleaner" to find where this startup value is located and delete/disable it.
  7. Nathan123

Nathan123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Worked out

That unlikely measure (as simple as it is) really helped. The folder is no longer opening. I don't understand it, but I'm very fine with it.

Thanks a lot!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.