Problem getting a display or the CD drive to open

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev_olie

Hi

Ive just bought a load of new stuff to build a PC. Its the first one and i stupidly thought it would work straight away.

However ive got some power in (the case fan and light come on and the CPU fan spins) but really that kinda seems to be it.

Ive double checked the RAM and its seated properly, Ive taken out the graphics card and re seated it, ive tried 2 different screens but nothing seems to work.

I dont get a beep or any kind when i turn it on and if i try to open the CD drives they dont open.

So what can i do? il put my specs on and hope some one can lend me a hand.

• Inno3D 9500GT 512MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium -SP1- Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 32-bit - English
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor
  • Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler
  • Crucial 2GB kit (2x1GB) DDR2 533MHz/PC2-4200 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered
  • Asrock PENRYN1600SLI-110DB Nvidia 650i SLI Socket 775 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Ive put the bios jumper were it said in the mobo instruction book and left it for about 2 minutes and all the cables are in as tight as possilble but theres still nothing :( is there anything else i can try?

Just checking, but that motherboard has three PCI-E graphics card slots. Did you install the graphics card in the middle, white slot?

Did you use standoffs when you installed the motherboard into the case? The standoffs and other hardware should have come with the case.

The motherboard has an 8 pin ATX12V connector. Your power supply only has a 4 pin ATX 12V connector. The 4 pin will work but only if it is in the proper pins according to the manual. Did you do that?

HA!! mailpup your awesome. I can see what has happend now. When i unpacked the graphics card a wire fell out. Only after trying the graphics cards in different slots did i find this cable and i hadnt tried the GC in the white slot with that cable plugged in. Thanks soo much.

However i now need to look at my other problme was getting my PC to recognise the 2 CD Drives. I know they both work because i used them in my old PC one as a slave and other master and because of this the jumpers are fine. However the BIOS doesnt seem to be able to find the Drives and theres nothing listed under the hard drives either. They to are both working and correct so how do i go about sorting that.

Also im guessing its to do with that im hgetting this message "primary master drive atapi incompatible"

I have the CD drive as the primary boot because im trying now to install Vista so any help on this side would be great because ive never touched BIOS much before.
Cheers

Is the CD drive on the end of the cable set as master and the middle drive set as slave? If not, try that. If that isn't it or it doesn't help, you could try a different cable. Try the one from the old PC since that one is known good.

Yer the 2 drives are set as Master and Slave so thats ok but i am using the new cable form the new mobo so thats a point. However the hard drive is also not being picked up so something maybe not right?

This is the first time you mentioned two hard drives. So what I'm asking is not just are the two drives set up as master and slave but are they set in the order I asked about earlier?

Now try using only one IDE device per cable and leave the others disconnected. Use the end device that should be set as master. Also, make sure the hard drive is connected to the primary controller and the CD drive to the secondary controller. You can tell which is connected to what in the BIOS. See if that helps.

Sorry thats me getting mixed up with CD drives. There are 2 hard drives but only one is connected atm.
I have double checked all the connections. The ribbons i have in the right place as one side says motherboard and the other side master. The Hard drive is connected to the blue primary controler and the CD drive connected to the secondary. However the BIOS is still showing that there is nothing being picked up/ detected for some reason. So what to do now? i cant really do much else becasue its just the continual loop press F2 to setup and then it just goes to the BIOS screen and you save changes and it goes round again? :dead:

Try switching the drives between primary and secondary and see if it helps. BTW, how old are these drives?

RIGHT i kind of have a break through. Ive taken a different CD drive from another computer and its able to open. However when thats connected i dont get to the BIOS. I just get a message that says something:

Boting HD1/2 Error
Booting HD1

Dont know whether this means anything?

right ok this is odd. I switched back ot the old HD with my previouse installation of windows on (the first hard drive i tried) and now its gone straight to windows!. So for some reason it works now. So thanks for all your help and im going to try and install Vista and hope it goes all right.

right im back again. Well i still have a problme it seems. Ok here goes:

The first hard drive (1) the one that had my Old XP installation on works. However the system doesnt seem to boot form CD. The drive opens etc. So all i get now is do you want to validate XP. but i cant because ive got a new system so the internet doesnt work and the installation key was on my old case and i havent had that for years.

The second hard drive when plugged in just gives that message again:
Boting HD1/2 Error
Booting HD1

im not sure now how to get the Vista CD to run .Ive changed the boot order and both the hard drives are set up exactly the same but they still dont run well. Any suggestions or do you think the hard drive is just broken down?

I can see why the second hard drive won't boot. It doesn't have an operating system on it and so is not a bootable drive. It's the optical drives with the Windows CD in it that should be bootable but they're not booting. I wonder if there isn't something wrong or incompatible with your CD drives. Perhaps you should buy a new DVD burner.

BTW, you aren't trying to use a CD only drive to run a Windows Vista DVD are you?

errr no sorry about the confusion it is a DVD drive...it was late :p

So it looks to be the "DVD" drive thats wrong nothing else? andi hsould install it on the hard drive with no os bcasue then i suppose later i can plugg in my XP HD and formtt it.

BTW with OEM versions of OS can you replce hard drives at a later date without to much hassle?

It could be the DVD drive. A new one isn't that expensive. You can install Vista on either drive if you can ever boot from the optical drive because when the hard drive is formatted anything on it will be wiped anyway. However, you can do it the way you said. It's up to you.

With OEM versions you should be able to change the hard drive without trouble although I haven't put it to test yet myself. The motherboard is a different story. Unless you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical or very similar motherboard you may have problems.

Ok great thanks for you help. I am actually now up an running on Vista with a new DVD drive. It booted straight away and its all running great. Thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back