Problem Getting My New Hard Drive To Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help!?

i have tried to install a new hard drive in my laptop, the hard drive formats fine but when i try to put xp on to it,it gets half way and then just switches off. I have tried numerous of times but the same happens everytime.

The hard drive is brand new and i install xp on to it using a different laptop with no probs, however the minute i try to put it into my other laptop it brings up the blue screen with the crash message.

The only hard drive i have managed to get working on this laptop is an old 4.2gb but this is no where big enough.

i have tried to installa 20gb 30gb and a 60gb and they all do the same thing, switch off before windows completes.

can anyone help

thanks lee

An xp install will usually only work on the machine its installed with bacause of device drivers.

that applies to most of all xp installs but not to all. as far as I understood he tried to install with the laptop and the hdd he wants to have working together. anyways the system specs would help here first. please let us know what laptop you have and what hdd you want to use with it. did you try a different install cd/dvd? to be honest I wonder how old the laptop is if it had a 4.2gib drive in it!? please tell us something more to make it easier to look for possible showstopper(s)...

thanks, mscrx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back