Problem Getting Rid Of Fake System Alert In Toolbar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanW

Hey Guys,
i really need ur help fixing this problem becuase its anooying me sooooo much.
iv tried many of ur steps, for example: avg spyware scan, hijackthis scan, spyware doctor and spybot. All these programs did fix many problems but not the flashing icon in my tool-bar of "system alert" which open a ie window if clicked upon. I have attched my logs of the scans, i hope u can please help me solve this problem.

I suggest that you get rid of that norton rubbish as it is obviously doing you no good and is a resource hog.

You do not have to do this, it's your choice, but i would highly recommend that you do.

Here are the instructions -
Download either the free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes from within this link - https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Then, disconnect from the net and completely uninstall Symantec/Norton. If you have any problems in uninstalling the programme, take a look at this thread - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic57112.html

Once you`ve completely uninstalled Symantec/Norton, reboot your system and install whichever firewall programme you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times and reconnect to the net. Run the antivirus updates.

Once you have done that, post a new HJT log and we will deal with the remaining malware!!!!

This thread is for the use of RyanW only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I Dont Really Want To Get Rid Of Norton

Why do u recommend getting rid of norton? i have always had that program and no problems before. I already have Zone-alarm Pro so do u think im covered? Have u looked at my logs of my scans? r they clean.... please tell me how my scan were.... i hope i can sort this problem out soon. thanks for helping so far!

The reason i recommend getting rid of it is because it's crap. It usually causes far far more problems than it ever solves and slows your pc down.

Have a look at this - http://www.computergripes.com/nortonantivirus2004.html

Once norton is gone it WILL make life easier for you.

Your logs are far from clean which is why i said norton is doing a bad job.

[edit]
I apologise if that all looks a little harsh, it isn't meant to be, but it's just that probably %70 of people that have spyware problems also have norton, and that's a bit too much of a coincidence.

If after seeing this post you don't want to get rid of it then fair enough, i will help you to clean your pc up, but i strongly suggest you do get rid of it.

This thread is for the use of RyanW only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Can We Just Try And Fix My System Before I Decide On Getting Rid Of Norton

I would like to try and fix all the problems on my system before i make final decision on getting rid of norton. I do appreciate ur advice though, it is very imformative. So could please tell me all the problems with my logs and tell me how to fix all problems please... hope to hear from u soon.

I will get back to you soon, I'm off to bed right now.

If you don't hear from me soon then make a post in this thread and i will get an email to remind me.:)

RyanW said:
I would like to try and fix all the problems on my system before i make final decision on getting rid of norton. I do appreciate ur advice though, it is very imformative. So could please tell me all the problems with my logs and tell me how to fix all problems please... hope to hear from u soon.
good for you! attack the real issue first and then go back and revisit the reason
why you installed / like program xyz. this way all symptoms are related to the
issue at hand rather than side effects of twiddling all over the system.

personally, I would uninstall
C:\Program Files\Google\Web Accelerator\googlewebaccclient.exe

msmsgs.exe
The Windows Messenger from Microsoft provides Online Chat and Instant Messaging. If you don't use Windows Messenger, you can disable it as follows: Start -> Programs -> Windows Messenger -> Tools -> Options -> Preferences. Uncheck "Run this program when Windows Starts".

convience yourself you DO NOT NEED THIS and disable all IM software!
they presend too many security back doors and commercial companies forbid
all IM usage to the Internet.

Problem Continued....

Hey, i got rid of the google web accelerator as u said, and from riks advice i now have the complete zonealarm security suite. Is is possible to have two antivirus/firewall prgrams working at once (norton and zonealarm)? becuase i still have norton which i am seriously considering getting rid of now. So is norton causing all the problems on my computer? isnt there just a simple way to hunt down where this little flashing icon (system alert) is on my system and just delete it. thanks for all the help so far! hope to hear from you soon.

RyanW said:
Is is possible to have two antivirus/firewall prgrams working at once (norton and zonealarm)? becuase i still have norton which i am seriously considering getting rid of now.
not a good idea -- they will just get into each others way and make a real mess. Make a choice and disable one until you get comfortable with the other. Then uninstall the disabled one when you're ready to commit to your choice.

So is norton causing all the problems on my computer?
not at all! many find it complicated and due to the resources consumed, classify it as 'bloatware'. I had good luck with it for quiet a long while, but it finally got just too much to keep it running and updated. I've moved to
AVG and Comodo

isnt there just a simple way to hunt down where this little flashing icon (system alert) is on my system and just delete it.
if there were, life would be great and this Board would have less utility :)

lets fix it....

Are we able to fix my problem of the flashing 'system alert' in my toolbar then if norton isnt the major problem of it?... Are u able to tell me steps of removing the icon? i have read and taken many of the steps in this forum but i still cant get rid of it. I would really appreciate it if you could please help me through this problem. I have diabled norton altogether at the moment and now I have Zonealarm Security Suite doing everything. What do you think? I hope to hear from you soon.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Follow these instructions for getting rid of Antivermins.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine, after running the above fix.

Post back when done.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

All Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!! I Hope....

I went to the link you gave me and followed the steps there and that appears to have worked as the icon has gone completely now (thank god). I feel my computer is all better again thanks to you guys. Thank you for all your help.
Could You just look over the attached logs of all the scans and tell me if I'm clean of everything bad now?... Thank you so much for all you help so far and your quick responses!;)

We`re nearly there, just a few more instructions and you`re good to go.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

ALCXMNTR.EXE

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

ALCXMNTR.EXE<Search your system for this file and delete all instances found.

Reboot your system.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

All better for now!!!!

Thanks guys for all your help! My computer seems to back to normal again. I did find and delete all the things you told me to and there are no more problems at the moment. I will try to be a lot safer on the internet for now on by having my zone alarm security system on as well as using firefox. I should be all set now. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back