Problem ghosting 2 boot partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I am having a problem ghosting a HD using Ghost 8.3

I have a 80GB HD split into 2 patitions which both boot:
Partition #1= Windows XP
partition #2= Recovery (4GB - ghost & Images) - dos 7.1

I have it set up so windows boot.ini will ask me if I wanna run Windows XP or System recovery. To do this I created a file called c:\bootsect.dos from the dos partition. This all works fine. I can boot XP or DOS with no problems at all.

Now.. What I am trying to do is make a ghost image of the entire HD to put on DVD in case the HD fails and I loose everything incuding the recovery partition. Also if I decide to upgrade to a new HD I can recovery XP plus the recovery partition.

I run ghost using these switches to make the image:
ghost -ib -split=1500 -auto

When I restore the image to a larger HD to test I can boot XP ok but when I try to boot the 2nd recovery DOS partition nothing happens and the computer hangs like it cannot find the dos files. I used -szef switch to resize the main partition to the remaining disk space.

I also tried using the ghost switches -ib -ntexact without any luck.

I tried using a boot menu program call masterbooter but that completely disappears.

Anyone have any ideas that could help me. Im pulling my hair out of my head.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If I dont leave the boot file inplace then I will be unable to boot to the second partition which is the DOS one.

I was thinking maybe I am not using the correct switches for ghost.

Are there any other programs maybe you can recommend like ghost that was a DOS type interface?

THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back