Problem in installing windows me through dos on ntfs formatted drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourabh

i have toshiba m35x-s109 laptop which has windows xp home edition installed from factory. i want to install windows me for this i had made a bootable windows cd from my desktop. on running the setup from dos a error message appears that you have ntfs formatted hard disk and dos cannot read it. can anyone tell me how to install windows me without formatting the hard disk.

I don't think that's possible. The only way out I see, is to run a Virtual PC, like VMWare or something

If you want to have Windows ME installed in your laptop, you should repartion and reformat it. Sorry, and please avoid the Windows ME! My suggestion is that you should keep Windows XP Home Edition.

bushwhacker said:
If you want to have Windows ME installed in your laptop, you should repartion and reformat it. Sorry, and please avoid the Windows ME! My suggestion is that you should keep Windows XP Home Edition.

i want to change the windows because sometimes when i connect to the internet the laptop stops responding and i have to shut down it improperly

Well maybe we need to explore that problem a little deeper first. There is no reason to just change OS's especially to ME puke:
What exactly is your current setup doing that is bothering you?

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot

And as far as I remember WinME CANNOT be installed on an NTFS partition because it doesn't support NTFS. You need an NT based windows OS. There are probably third party applications to access NTFS partitions, but I don't believe you can put the OS on that partition.

Hello,

Special tool can be used to access NTFS in DOS. The one I recommend is NTFS Reader that can be found on a data tools set CD image, Active@ Boot Disk. That also includes really mighty soft for data destruction recovery and backup. You should definately give it a try.

http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

thankx

now its more than a year when i posted this thread. i changed the format of my hd and installed winxp prof. its workin fine and i also upgraded my laptop.

anyway thanks, i will keep in mind about that software. i have another laptop which also have ntfs formatted hd.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back