Problem installing dvd burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this dvd burner to replace a Cd drive. I replace it plug it in and ready to burn but big Problem, my D:\ and E:\ are now missing from my computer. both drive does not work now. I got a LG CD burner model GCE- 85258 and a brand new dvd burner Model GWA-4161B both of them are hockup proprely a simple remove and install operation. I check divice manager only the DVD-burner show up there with an error (code 10), when i check properties. I uninstall both burners and reinstall them over and over again but nothing happen. I install The CD-burner by itself and it work just find.

I do not know that much about computer, but as long I have the proper instuctions I can do what is needed to be done. So, if anyone could give me a little instruction on what such be my next step just let me know. Just what to say thank you in advance.

System info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer 00101680 7920
System Model 15405300051251
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~897 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.09, 4/14/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.0
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 254.48 MB
Available Physical Memory 78.62 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 625.92 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

error code 10 means "device cannot start" and generally means that the driver for the device is not loading at start up. since Optical drives use windows native drivers it is not a driver issue directly but more likely a hardware conflict.

you mentioned that the drives are hooked up properly I am assuming you mean you have the jumpers set properly? the jumper for the new drive should be the same as the drive you replaced.

if the jumpers are indeed set properly then I would try uninstalling the IDE channel that they are on and rebooting to see if this solves the problem. if it doesnt then there is the possiblity that you have a defective burner to check you could try disconnecting the CD burner and see if the DVD burner is then recognized and the driver installed.

IDE Change

Thanks for your help.

I follow the instuction you gave me an it started to work, but! it only shows the video no sound. MY question is there any codec that I might need to install.

Thanks

in XP the sound is handled thru the PCI bus so there is no need for a sound cable on optical drives. I would suggest you double check and make sure that your sound isnt muted if the speaker icon is not in your taskbar then check it in control panel.

double check all.

I check them all over, you know, just to make sure everything is connected right. My audio out put is great. The frist DVD I Played there was no sound the next one I played sounded like someone was fast forwarding it. You were right, I think this DVD Drive is defective. Just to be on the safe said, I will just exchange this one on monday for a next one.
Thanks again for your help iss. "Everyday you learn something new."

Thanks
JIFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back