Problem installing Microsoft VM on windows 2000

By srajesh
May 13, 2005
  1. Hello,

I have been trying to install the microsoft vm on a windows 2000 machine. When i try to run the installation exe msjavax86.exe, it gives an error saying - it cannot update the virtual machine because it is a protected system component.

However, when i run jview from the command prompt it says 'unrecognized command name' which means there is no installed version of the virtual machine.

This is a windows 2000 sp4 machine with IE 6 sp 1.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Welcome to TechSpot

Is there a particular reason for installing Microsoft's VM?

If not, try Sun's JRE instead.
  3. srajesh

srajesh TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, it is required for a java applet we developed using the ms java libraries..

so the sun java version is not sufficient...

Any ideas what could be causing this error
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Have you tried it as a windoze-update from M$ website?
    Your copy might not be the latest version.

I have uninstalled VM (= MS Java) from all my PCs, and instead put on Sun Java2 R1.5.
    I have not had any java-problem whatsoever.
    You should modify YOUR applet so that it works with other/all Java versions, instead of relying on crappy M$.
  5. srajesh

srajesh TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes.. I've tried applying all the latest updates. The error is in the installation of the MS jvm itself.. I've tried versions 3805, 3809, 3810.

All give the same error : The Microsoft virtual machine you are attempting to install is a protected system component and can only be updated with a later release of the operating system or service pack.

Any ideas ??

Thanks for your help,
  6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.