Problem installing new graphics card on Emachine/onboard-graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallkev

I'm having a problem others seem to encouter, but can't get it resolved. I bought a ATI Radeon 600X Pro 256MB/PCI-E card. I have an Emachine T6410 computer with built in ati xpress 200. Specs found here:(http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=desktop&subcat=T-Series&model=T6410)

My problem is after installing the card my computer doesn't recognize the hardware. As soon as I put the card in, my monitor will not work. The computer boots up and the monitor has power, but no picture. The card fan is working...i can hear it. I take the card out and it works fine.

Here is what I have tried:
-Called emachines for support and after disabling my onboard graphics, still doesn't work, they say call ATI
-Tried support from ATI....no help, they say its the computer
-Tried disabling in BIOS, but it doesn't offer a selection for that. It also does't have a PNP feature. Only first initial display..which I tried on PCIEX
-Plug monitor to both card, and onboard.
-Check MSI website and I do have updated BIOS

I can tell that the onboard graphics are disabled due to large scale print. I tried uninstalling the drivers, but when i turn it on it detects and installs the built in graphics. I just can't get the monitor to work whenever the card is inserted. If it would work I could manually install the hardware and drivers. I'm thinking I need a different BIOS that would let me use PNP and disable onboard graphics??

Any help I would greatly appreciate...this is my first time to this website and I thought I would try it before taking my computer to a shop to see if they can fix it....Just scared of what they might charge since I only paid about $90 for the card.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

An extreme option

As you do have the option of a working computer prior to installing the new card I would back up any files that are important to you..
Then, before I would pay someone else BIG bucks, I would put in the new card and try a fresh install of windows. Force it to recognise your new card. The drivers that Windows will pick should suffice until the install is done and you can then install the card specific drivers from your disk.
This is given ONLY as a choice. I am not sure this will solve your problem but IT IS something this cheap bas____ would try before paying someone else.

Good Luck and check back, maybe someone else will contribute a better idea.
Greg

Thanks for the information. The only problem is when I power down and insert the card and power back up, the monitor does not show anything...stays black....so I can't even get into BIOS or anything with the card inserted. Don't I need to see a screen to install windows? Only time I can use the computer is when I remove the card.

I do think that someone else would charge big bucks for something that's probably simple. If you need a new graphics card I might have one for sell here soon.....this thing is a pain...suppose to be simpe..plug in and play.

Thanks for the reply,

Kevin

One possibility is that your power supply doesn't have enough juice to power the card. It looks like your emachine has a 380w which SHOULD be enough, depending on what else you have installed. Do you have a lot of peripherals/extra hardware installed?

Don, I'm not very intelligent when it comes to computers, but I havn't added anything to the computer. I have a dvd burner that came with it and it has a media card reader built in, but no I havn't added anything other than the LCD monitor?? I can't think of anything that might would burden the power supply. The support I got from ATI like you, said that I should have enough power for the card. I'm thinking it might be a defective card.

Would this card even be a dramatic upgrade from the xpress 200 ? Or should I return it and invest in something different? Just scared I would have the same problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

From what you have described, I'm thinking defective card as well.

I just read your system's user manual, and it doesn't look like you need to physically adjust any jumpers on the motherboard. I have also done some searching around to try and get some info on your bios, but can't find ANYTHING. Wow, emachines is nasty for tech support....

Go through your bios again in detail. Check every single option you can find, and look for an option to disable your onboard graphics.

Other than that, it could very well just be a faulty card. It happens.

As for your question about the performance increase. Yes, the X600pro will be a good increase over the integrated X300, but still, the X600pro is a low end card. You will still need to turn down the settings on newer games in order to get good framerates. But for the budget level entry cards, it is not a bad one at all!

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the help and information. I'll try the BIOS again and look into returning the card.

THANKS again,
kevin

same problem

I had the exact same problem except that my original graphics card was not onboard.I was running an ati radeon 9200se 128mb agp
and i went and got an nvidia geforce 7300gt agp.
I slotted the card in and plugged in the monitor and the screen stayed
black.I then reinstalled the 9200se and it worked fine.
I have tried:
1.Installing the card in my mums computer(It worked in her computer so the card works)
2.Cecking that the card is inserted properly)
3.Seeing if there is anything in the BIOS that i needed to change(couldnt find anything)

I dont know why it works in my mums computer but not mine.

My computer:
PSU:350watt(the graphics cards minimum)
HDD:120gb
CPU:sempron2200+ 1.5ghz
RAM:768mb

Mums computer
PSU:I do not knw exact wattage but its a thermaltake silent purepower
HDD:250gb
CPU:p4 3ghz
RAM:1gb

please help!!!

You didn't say anything about uninstalling and installing graphics drivers. How did you handle that? You should uninstall the ATI driver, shut down and change the graphics cards, reboot and install the new Nvidia driver (which you should already have handy).

I have tried uninstalling the ATI driver and then putting the graphics
card back in but still nothing came up on the screen.(forgot to say i had tried that):eek: :confused:
Ive run out of things to try

Although your power supply is nominally 350W, perhaps it's weak or there is a problem with it. Do you know what the amps are on the +12V rail?

I'ts got a lot of information ritten on the side of it ill have a look.
i have also tried unplugging other devices attached to the powerbox
to free it up a bit but it still didnt work.

I dont really understand the stuff it says on the side
it seems to work perfectly
50~60hz whatever that is
and AMD Athlon support and Intel Pentium 4 support
all the rest is gibberish numbers.

oh,yes now i get it.
+12v=18A

12volt rail at 18 amps i think

If that is another plug that goes strait to the powerbox yes.
but wen i tried it on my mums computer i tested not plugging that in and it still worked so i dont know what the plugged is used for.
I havnt been plugging it in on my computer becaue of that but i have tried and still the same result.:confused: :confused: :(

I'm not sure if i have found your problem possibly, but on the msi website they state that your mobo is agp x8 only and means that the agp voltage could well be 0.8v only. If the card that wont work is a x4/x8 its just possible that it doesn't like running at 0.8v as x4 runs at 1.5v??

Its a remote possibility at best, but its the only thing i cant think of that could cause the problem you have.

You can change my motherboard to 4x.
I tried doing this and the card still deosnt work.
(you can change to 4x thru the BIOS):knock:

if i were u... i would go out and get a new comp. cus truthfuly emachines totally suck. my buddy has one and hes allways pissed because his comps ****. save the vid card and put in something worth while

Similar Problems!

I got myself the nvidia 7300 GS graphics card but wen I put it in2 the PCIE slot and plug my monitor 2 it, there's no display. I have the 915GV chipset with a 16X PCIe slot. I did not disable my onboard graphics...could that be a problem? Do I have 2 uninstall my onboard drivers before putting in the new card? Plz help!

Yes, you need to uninstall the onboard before installing the new card. It varies from motherboard to motherboard as to how to go about doing this. Your user manual will have the details.

Usually you need to go into your bios and disable the onboard graphics as well. Some older motherboards actually require you to move some jumpers as well.

Also, it is probably a good idea to start your own thread ;)

video

Could be the psu. I would try another psu just to rule it out if for no other reason. You can have a 350 watt psu that will start the machine and a 450 that won't start it. Depends on the quality of the psu. Not sure emachines uses the best of quality when it comes to this...
Worth a try..!

It's the psu

The emachines t6410 only has a 300W power supply. Just barely enough to handle the stock components. You add anything to the computer, even a wireless card, and it can stop working. So just upgrade the psu and it should be fine.
If not, return the psu you bought and get a new computer instead :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back