TechSpot

Problem installing nvidia GeForce 7300 LE

By williamN
Sep 15, 2007
  1. When we click install driver a screen pops up saying to uninstall any existing graphics card. We went to the control panel and to uninstall programs and uninstalled the integrated graphics card but we still get the screen telling us to uninstall graphic card.

What did we miss?

The computer is a new ( purchased today ) E Machine W5233.

TIA

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Is the new card already physically installed? Are you trying to install the graphics driver for the new card from the CD that came with the card? Just asking to get a better picture of what's going on.

3. williamN

williamN TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, the card is installed and we are using the CD that came with the card.

4. mailpup

When you went to the Add/Remove Programs, you uninstalled the old graphics driver. Of course, you can't physically remove integrated graphics but go the the Device Manager in the Control Panel, find the graphics device and "uninstall" the card itself from there. Then try to install the new driver for the new card.

5. williamN

I went to device manager but did not see the graphics card or anyway to uninstall.

Once we went to program uninstall and did that the graphics card does not show up on the list of programs anymore ???

6. mailpup

We could be confusing software and hardware here. In the Add/Remove Programs you uninstalled the driver which is, of course, software. Only software (including some drivers) are listed there. You won't see any hardware listed.

In the Device Manager uninstalling a device only means disconnecting the hardware device from the system. It doesn't physically remove anything and, in fact, when you reboot Windows will automatically reinstall the device if you don't physically remove it or uninstall its driver. Sorry if you already know this.

Now back to the problem. In the Device Manager did you look under Display Adapters for the Graphics "card?" If you find it, right click on it and see your options.

7. williamN

I went to device manager and found a PCI bridge under system devices.I tried to uninstall and it went through the uninstall, then the device manager window with the list of harware just blinked on and off. When it was on the screen I could see the PCI bridge was still there. Then I tried to disable the PCI bridge. The same thing happened.

Now I cannot get on the internet. I had to plug up our notebook to the modem.

I notice now when the computer starts up for a few seconds when the windows screen first comes up there is a black screen with "error access denied".

8. williamN

I just went to display adapters and when I click on that the card we are trying to load, nvidia GeForce 7300 LE is the only thing listed.

9. mailpup

Err, don't disable random devices. It's display adapters I tried to steer you to.

In the Device Manager under Display Adapters and next to your GeForce 7300 card, is there a yellow symbol next to it? If not, then your driver is already installed.

10. williamN

Thank you for your help.

I did a system restore and now I can get back on the net.

My son is playing his game and now says it is playing as it should.

Thanks again!!!

11. mailpup

Good. Glad to help.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.