TechSpot

Problem installing SATA hard disk

By komirad
Aug 28, 2007
  1. Bought this SATA hard disk(250GB) a few weeks ago and fixed my computer. I am using Gigabyte K8VT800M as my mother board.

I see a exclamation mark on on the icon of "VIA SATA RAID CONTROLLER" in my device manager. It is not a question mark behind, so I guess the drivers are installed.

The hard disk is running.

However, I can't seem to detect the SATA hard disk(Can't find it in disk management), is it because my motherboard doesn't support SATA II?

It says here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/FAQ_Model.aspx?FAQID=1724&ProductID=1711&ClassValue=

If I have to change the jumpers settings, how do I do it?

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,764

You only need to install the raid controller drivers if you're going to set up a raid array.

3. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,423   +7

This can be very difficult.I assume your MBD has SATA connections.
    You need a Raid driver floppy during HD and OS installation for Master.
    Not sure of it being a Secondary to an IDE drive.
    Witch route are you takeing.
    It might be worth a Technision estimate.I paid $25.

4. komirad

komirad TS Rookie Topic Starter

The primary is a IDE drive already with windows installed. I am trying to add an additional SATA hard disk, but it seems that it is not getting detected.

Anyway what does an "Array" do?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.