TechSpot

Problem installing Stardock Central - possible malware issue

By Makris
Mar 18, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

I'm trying to install Stardock Central but I'm getting the error "explorer.exe is not a Win32 file" near the end of the installation. Stardock are telling me it is probably being caused by some malware on my system ("nuffin' to do wiff us guv' ").

When I type in explorer.exe in Start->Run... I get the same error if I don't type in the path, but when I type in the correct path "C:/Windows/explorer.exe" it runs fine.

My computer is otherwise running fine, and I regularly install a few programs a week without any problems. I also installed an older version of Stardock Central 18 months ago with no problem.

I've run a number of anti-virus and adware apps (including Norton and Anti-Spyware ... I have these active on my machine at all times) to clean things up (before I ran HijackThis), but didn't find anything of particular interest.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

This issue can be caused by any of the below possibilities.

1.File is corrupt, bad, or missing.
    2.File is not designed for your version of Windows.
    3.File is a virus, worm, or other malware file.
    4.Hardware incompatibility.

- http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000726.htm

Try installing into a different directory is my suggestion
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

in HJT put a tickmark in front of ALL your O15 and O16 entries, then click 'fix checked'.
  4. Makris

Makris TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the link, but none of the 4 points above apply. I tried installing to both a different directory and a different drive, but with the same error.

Any other suggestions?
  5. Makris

Before I do this, can I just check with you what effect this will have. Thanks.
  6. Makris

I fixed the O15 & O16s, but it hasn't helped. Any other ideas? Thanks
  7. Makris

Well, I sorted this. See my "How many copies of explorer.exe should I have?" thread.

In case the suspense is killing you - the answer is ...

spoiler .....

ONE!

Thanks to all for their comments.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.