Problem installing Win XP, but able to install WIn 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am able to run fdisk, format the Hard drive, but it will not install WinXP/Win XP-SP2. I go thru all the loading of the files to install Windows, but keep getting rebooted after the screen that says it is about to copy windows files. I have added, changed RAM, hard drive, video card, but no success. I used a Win98 boot disk, then tried Maxtor Hard Drive utility, both did not help. Changed the CD even, no success. Running ASUS Motherboard, Nvidia Geforce MX 440 video card, 256/512 266MHz RAM, 80/ 200 GB hard drive. :(

The best way to install XP is to boot from the XP disk partition and format with it and it then continues with the install. you dont need to use a Win98 floppy and Fdisk.

how are you installing xp? explain!
after you format your drive,
put xp cd in cd drive
turn machine off
turn machine back on, tapping del, esc, f1, or some other key that will get you to BIOS (cmos) setup.
when you get to BIOS, go to boot sequence, choose "boot from cd" as the first boot sequence
save your settings and exit.
the xp cd will boot your machine and will install.
post back results.

Had the same problem once. Took me 2 weeks to figure it out.You have to format your hard disk with the format from win 98 setup disk then give in fdisk/mbr 10 times ( after booting up with disk) good luck :cool: By the way do you have AMD or Intel??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back