Problem Installing Windows XP Pro

Tried re-installing Windows XP from the original Dell "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 Reinstallation CD" that came with my trusty Dell Dimension 3100 Desktop PC.
Installation process seemed to go fine, until, on completion, came to the Windows welcome screen (black screen with the Microsoft Windows XP logo) with the additional words "Please wait..." and hour glass, and stays there forever.
What do I need to do to progress further?

It would be useful to think back to why you decided to reinstall the OS. XP is now very old and the computer hardware will also be well past its best. If there was an issue with Windows it could be due to the hard disc having problems rather than a software issue.

For the moment I need to persevere with this OS software in order to try and extend the life of our ageing but important EPOS software that is, unfortunately, XP dependent and not upgradeble. So, any advice on original "...words "Please wait..." and hour glass..." problem?
All indications tend to suggest software issues rather than those of hardware.

If you are unable to get the installation to complete and have never replaced the original hard drive I would suspect that the hard drive is faulty. Nothing lasts forever and I replaced the hard drive in my XP desktop a few years ago - before it had any issues. It's not true that you cannot run old software on new versions of Windows. XP can be installed as a virtual OS enabling you to run software you cannot do without. Sorry, but I don't have any other suggestions.

Straining my poor old memory to breaking point, I seem to recall that it was not uncommon for XP to hang on the first reboot due typically to incorrect hardware drivers, (or sheer cussedness).

The solution would be to manually power off, and restart. Often the restart would continue to load more drivers, but if not, a restart into 'safe mode with logging' gives you a chance to find out exactly which bit of the startup is hanging. see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315222

Remember that XP ended at SP3, not SP2, and there is consequently a possibility of incompatible drivers, because SP3 had a good deal of amendment for more recent hardware. Now at reboot, the install might collect newer drivers from the internet which are actually SP3-specific and might cause your hardware to hang on SP2. That's my best guess, and if I am right, your easiest approach might be to obtain a 'spare' copy of an install for SP3 direct.

@bazz2004 also has a good suggestion - to run XP as a virtual OS, which would be ok for a single-user solution, but again, if you are sharing a server in a business environment, you will need considerable power on your server, as well as fairly considerable skills to set it all up for sharing.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen a couple years ago. I tried reinstalling many times and it would get to the end and then hang. So posted the problem here (XP was still supported) and got lots of answers and none of them worked. Then I checked out the back of my computer. There was a USB cable plugged in that was attached to nothing. so just for s and gs I unplugged it. Installed first try. Must be someting to do with XP configuring that port.

Back