problem installing windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a problem installing windows xp onto my computer.

while im installing it says cannot copy files or something like that and it tells me to retry or skip

ive tried installing windows a few times but it just doesnt work on this comp

the cd seems fine since it installed on another comp the day before .. would it be a harddrive problem? what causes files to not be copied like this

I asume you have an official Xp disc if not your not going to get anymore help, if you do then the problem you have will be either the disc is damaged in some way ie scratched or it's dirty and needs cleaning, or like you said there is a problem with the HDD maybe bad sectors so you should run scandisc and check out the drive.

It could also be a problem with the cd or dvd drive that you are installing it from!!!!

Darth_Terra1 said:
....or like you said there is a problem with the HDD maybe bad sectors so you should run scandisc and check out the drive.

i don't think there is a scandisc command in dos. it's chkdsk with r or f option to repair/fix and retrieve data if possible. and besides, how can one run these commands, without an os?

anyway, if the pc has an older cd-rom drive, some have problems navigating to so many directories deep in the file system. if the cd is scratched, it won't work on the other pc's either. so, the problem is on the cd-rom drive. you can try to install another (recent) cd-rom drive that can overcome the directories that are sometimes 7 or 8 deep in the file system on the cd. another problem with reading the cd, is compaq laptop cd-rom drives.

alidabiri said:
i don't think there is a scandisc command in dos. it's chkdsk with r or f option to repair/fix and retrieve data if possible. and besides, how can one run these commands, without an os?

anyway, if the pc has an older cd-rom drive, some have problems navigating to so many directories deep in the file system. if the cd is scratched, it won't work on the other pc's either. so, the problem is on the cd-rom drive. you can try to install another (recent) cd-rom drive that can overcome the directories that are sometimes 7 or 8 deep in the file system on the cd. another problem with reading the cd, is compaq laptop cd-rom drives.

the installation cd has system tools on it so you can check.. or use a boot disk with them on.. there are means and ways without having the OS installed.

Darth_Terra1 said:
the installation cd has system tools on it so you can check.. or use a boot disk with them on.. there are means and ways without having the OS installed.
I don't think you are grasping the subject here. without OS, there's no command interpreter. even if there are executables on the cd, an OS needs to execute it. without an os, any tools on the cd is worthless. it's the cd that installs any and all tools along with the command interpreter. if the pc has already been booted with a 98 boot disk or something, then the commands on the cd would work, but without an OS, your statement is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back