problem launching ie

By MMcKay4502
Jun 29, 2007
  1. Every time I try to log to ie I get this message about not being able to find the file C:/Program%20Files/Aol%20toolbar/welcome.html. What the heck is going on and how do I fix it. Hello to every computer guy and gal out there.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Are you limited in memory, video graphics, or drives in any way. You need a minimum of 512 mb... more is better.
    Go to add and remove programs, then remove what you have. Reboot, and reinstall. If you are not installing from a disc, order one from Microsoft for $3.95. You don't want to install it from a download.
  3. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Sounds like your AOL add-on is messed up. Try this:

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)

This launches IE without add-ons. If it works, then go into your Tools menu and delete the AOL add-on.
  4. BlameCanada

BlameCanada TS Rookie Posts: 320

Also,get AOL entirely off your computer,

and use Firefox or Opera instead of IE.
  5. checkchange

checkchange TS Rookie

This happened to my Windows XP machine

This happened to my Windows XP machine with the exact same error message after I installed AOL 9.0 VR. ..I solved the problem by uninstalling IE 7 and then reinstalling IE 7. .. The problem went away right after the reboot.
  6. raybay

Interesting! Did you leave AOL 9.0 VR in place while doing this, or did you remove it and reinstall it?
  7. checkchange

checkchange TS Rookie

For the record, I recall uninstalling the AOL toolbar first to see if that helped, which it did not., then since I had a latest Beta version of AOL 9.0 VR - I left that in tact and did my uninstall of IE 7 and reinstall of IE 7...Like I said everything is perfect, I even went back into AOL and installed the AOL toolbar again for IE with out any issues..... I hope this is able to assist others. ...My belief is that somehow the AOL VR corrupted something adherent to IE 7.
  8. raybay

I think you are correct... we have see a number of related problems with AOL 9.0 Vr, but didn't realize that your fix would work.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.