Problem! Low FPS counter strike source

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, i'm not the first one with FPS problems in counter strike : source. But i have asked so many people and noone's knows what to do, so I came here :) Well according to friends, i have a fairly decent computer, actually they say it's odd i have such low FPS. I have tried patches, changing resolutions, bought a new graphic card, cleaned the inside of comp, nothing works!!! so i have come to you for ideas.

My config:
Intel Celeron CPU 2.40 Ghz
512MB RAM
NVIDIA 6600 GT AGP
uhmm yeah i don't know what else to say, i hope you can help me.

I used to get around 20-30 fps too. The thing is, is that you have probably a high-end graphics card, but your processor can't support it. I made the same mistake buying a decent card (Radeon 9600) on a 2.1 GHz processor and barely skimped out on CSS with 30 fps. You can't expect a good graphics card to be awesome if your processor can't support it. I'd suggest getting a gig of RAM too because when someone throws 12424 smoke grenades at round start, you'll be lagging like a mofo.

I bought a 3.2 GHz dual core processor today and I'm getting really good fps with it.

Oh. Just noticed your processor was Intel. Thought it was AMD. New processor. For sure.

Some of the newer DirectX 9.0 effects, albeit require a beefy 3d card, carry with them a lot of cpu overhead. Even with a rippin' 3d card, your Celeron and motherboard (such as memory latency/performance it feeds to your CPU) is likely what's holding back your framerate.

If you dont mind sacrificing some of the fancier graphic novelties, you can force the Source engine back a few DX levels. This is done with the max_dxlevel command at the console.
For example, for the lowest version:
mat_dxlevel 70
will revert the engine to DirectX 7.0 level capabilities, thus sparing your CPU from all sorts of advanced structures to process prior to handing off to your 3d card.

Other values can be 80, 81, 50, etc.etc. These all correspond to a different level of Direct3D support. If you have DirectX 9.0 installed- don't worry. It's fully backwards compatible with prior DX levels in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back