Wrong refresh rate

I've stumbled across a really weird and specific issue yesterday, I opened up a game to try it out, but then my screen turned white and I had to turn it off, once I turned it back again, my monitor pops up a message saying that my Refresh Rate was wrong and it gave me it's number (53hz, I believe the original default was 60hz) and after the Windows logo, the screen turned black and I coudn't even reach the user selection screen, neither desktop after that (I use Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit by the way, and my graphics card is the AMD Radeon HD7700)

I did a lot of research to find a solution, turns out it's a software issue, the game somehow changed my refresh rate values and the monitor can't handle it so it turns in to black whenever I go into Normal Mode, but I am able to use the computer just fine in Safe Mode OR when I disable the Video Driver in the Devices Manager screen, but the screen is filled with some strange jaggered lines and colors, but when I boot it into Normal Mode again the screen turns black like I mentioned above, here are a few links showing that similar issue up and how they solved it which is not working for me.
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...ter-changing-your-computers-display-settings/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...resh-rate-screen-resolution-black-screen.html

The solution a lot of people had with this issue is by going into VGA Mode (Or Low Resolution Mode) When you press F8 to open up the advanced boot options, the screen can show up again and the video driver can be detected on the Monitor Settings (to reach there press right click, resolution, advanced settings) In there, there is an option to change the refresh rate, but since I only can reach windows into safe mode or disabling the video driver in the normal mode, it won't detect my driver there to change it back to normal, neither I can open up my AMD Radeon Control Panel to change it since it says that it requires the video driver to be enabled to work, here are a couple of methods that I was hoping it could be possible.

If there is a CMD command that allows me to change the refresh rate, or a program that changes any values on the monitor/resolution which could allow me to change it back to 60hz like it was, or a way for me to use the computer with the video driver enabled without the screen being black entirely, yes I tried unninstalling my video driver completely and installing a new one, but no luck, the refresh rate is still the same and I coudn't find a fix, right now I'm typing on Normal Mode with it disabled so I can use the computer, but I can't do anything related to the video editing work I do.

I have no idea what to do and I really need to fix this, I use my computer to work.

Will this help ? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/216166 is for NT but often win7 still supports it.

Another thing you could try is since the frequency is persisting through an uninstall and reinstall of the driver, it is probably stored somewhere in either an initiation file in the driver locations of \windows\system32 or in the registry. One way to find it may be to search both using standard text or regedt64 search for likely values, such as 53 or the hex equivalent 35 (?)

It might also be worth trying a standard system restore to a date before your game messed it up.

Finally, since the radeon video driver is effectively causing the problem, try asking AMD for a solution.

Finally (x2) this is not really a 'windows' problem. Try reposting in the 'graphics' forum, you are more likely to find someone who is more expert there.

Last edited:
You have tested the monitor by replacing it with another, and found the PC and graphic card and connector cord is fine ?
You have tested the monitor by attaching it to another PC and found it does not work ?

Unless you have done the above nothing fits with you saying originally that you could use the PC but only in safe mode. Therefore I do not understand how you can claim 'seems it's the monitor itself' ? Don't forget all graphic cards have more than one output circuit. Try VGA. You also need to test the connection cords - again by replacement with known working ones.

I don't have another monitor neither another PC to test that out, and please don't mind what I say much I'm not an expert in that regard..

Back