Problem Starting Up Built PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new motherboard, case and processor to upgrade my PC and installed everything into the new board following the guides, but when I go to start up the system the power turns on but nothing happens with the monitor (it's completely blank at all times).

Have tested the graphics card & monitor on a different system and that worked, so it can't be a problem with the graphics card or monitor.

Here's the specs of the system:
Motherboard - http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-VSTA.htm
RAM - 512MB DDR 333 (PC2700)
CPU - Pentium D 2.66ghz (775 Socket)
ATI Radeon X1300 (AGP 8x)
Power - ATX 350W
80GB Hard-drive.

Any suggestions to what could be wrong? Faulty AGP Slot or dead Motherboard?
Any help would be very welcome.

Hello and welcome to techspot!

I'd recommend stripping down to the basics to help troubleshoot.

Remove the motherboard from the case, and set it on a box beside your case so the PSU cables can reach it.

Install only the following:
-cpu/heatsink
-one stick of ram
-graphics card
-Two psu connections to your motherboard (the 20/24pin and the ATX12v connector)
-the PSU connector to your graphics card (if it requires one, some don't)
-your case's speaker wire
-your case's power on switch

Connect your monitor to the graphics card and try to boot your system. Can you get into your bios? Tell us exactly what you see (lights/fans) and hear (beeps).

If you are using the power supply that came with the new case you bought, try using a different one. Unless your new case is an Antec, most generic power supplies that come with cases are suspect.

try to stay away from believing the 50$ for AN AMAZING CASE AND A LONG LIFE 505045605640 WATT PSU THAT WEIGHTS 2.3 POUNDS!!!! lol. Do you have another psu laying around? If so, try switching them out. If it doesn't work, post back with more details. Good luck!

Thanks for all the ideas, unfortunately none of the suggestions produced an effective result. Even after striping the system down to the basics it refused to do anything; no beeps and no display...though the fans seemed to be active and the lights on the machine turned on.

I think the motherboard decided to kill itself, hopefully the replacement one will get here soon and I'll be able to find out for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back