Problem updating Spybot S&D - cannot allocate socket

By Pazuzu
Jan 14, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 on my Windows 98 PC (system 2 in my profile) & when I try to update I get an error message "Error retrieving update into file! Cannot allocate socket.
    I have version 1.3 running on my other XP PC with no such problem when I try updates. Before I try to switch back to 1.3 I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
  2. SCHUMIinSA

SCHUMIinSA Newcomer, in training Posts: 162

I often experience checksum error when updating Spybot 1.4 on my WindowsXP Pc, but after a few downloads I usually get a working version of the update.
  3. Pazuzu

Pazuzu TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 215

Mystery solved - firewall conflict

Thanks for the checksum observation. The problem was resoved by uninstalling & then downloading Spybot S&D, installing it again.
    I found that McAfee firewall was blocking updates - I guess that I must have denied access sometime !
    Having said that I went through all six of the update sites before I got a download without a checksum error.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.