Problem with 4 gig limit in Vista & NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagi

Well, it's like this, I have a very large file which I wish to burn on a 4.7 DVD... It's just that the Image file is 7 gig big, so I opened WinRAR and choose the store option and set it to DVD+R: 4481 mb limit per file. So basically it supposed to cut this huge file into two files one 4 point something gig and another with what's left which should be like 3 gig.

But now comes the problem, when it finished storing the first file windows Vista showed me an info message that said something about the file being over 4 gig (it specifically mentioned 4 gig) or something like that, maybe it was an error message, I don't remember.
But now it won't let me do anything with that file 'cause it say that the file is being used by another program.
I try to delete it and it just says

"File In Use

The action can't be completed because the file is open in another program.

Close the file and try again."

Try Again / Cancel

The file size is 4.37 GB (4,698,669,056 bytes) / 4,558,544 KB.

How could the file be in any program? it's an .exe of WinRAR.
But the thing is that even in Safe Mode of Vista it tells me the same thing and I can't manage to delete it.

So I thought going to DOS and delete it from there will surly solve the problem.
The only thing is that I guess DOS doesn't know how to read NTFS (I got to that conclusion after searching the web a bit and reading).
So I downloaded a kind of NTFS reader and tried to install it onto a floppy disk but even this doesn't work 'cuase the installer program also has an error which says...

"Bootable Floppy Creator Error

Access is denied."

Abort / Retry / Ignore

So far I'm out of options, since I can't manage to enter DOS with the option to read my NTFS partition.

Any advice?

Is the original 7GB file intact? I don't think you can just cut this file in half. The sizing needs to be done in a particular way. Try downloading DVD Shrink 3.2 and see if it will handle the conversion

I've never heard of any 4 gig limit with Vista and NTFS. The only 4 gig limit I know of is with RAM in a 32bit OS and the filesize limitation on FAT32. Would be helpful to know what that error message was.

There is a free program called Unlocker, that will likely allow you to delete that file, but I'll warn you with Vista's new security stuff you have to tweak the registry to make Unlocker work (it tells you how on their website).

Thank you!

No need of unlocker, you reminded me of my beloved program MoveOnBoot 1.1.
Now the file has been deleted finally, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back