Problem With a linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoWoodbridge

i own a linksys router (WRT54G (Version 5)

now my problem is this , i have two pcs hooked up to the router , my desktop pc and my xbox.

when i go online to play my xbox live , as soon as i connect to another gamer online , it completely cuts out the internet on my desktop pc. As soon as i disconnect from the gamer on xbox live , i regain my internet access on my desktop pc.

When i first got my router i was able to use both the xbox live online and my desktop pc, about 2 months later i started encoutering this conflict.

Anyone have any suggestions.

thanks

That's probably one of the worst routers made recently. Version 5 and 6 are terrible. I've had people with so many problems using those - But they are affordable so a lot of people end up getting them.

The first thing you can try to do is update the firmware, because it sounds like your router is not providing proper NAT. The OOBE should be a perfect setup with DHCP and NAT enabled.

If it is a new router, take the junk back and get a better one.. If you're stuck with it or intend to stick it out, updating the firmware is going to be one of your only solutions (Assuming there's actually a firmware fix for this issue).

In the meantime you can have some fun with it and try to figure out a work around.. Maybe disabling or changing some features will get your started or perhaps you do have a problem with something on your network. But there's many other reports of the same problem with that particular router and shouldn't have to put it up with this kind of undesirable behavior. :(

I have upgraded the firmware on this piece of wood and yet i still have the same issue. i have called tech support but the *****s there cant seem to figure out the problem. so they sent me a another router (version 4) and i still had the same issue with it.

i had a dlink router DI 604 before i bought this one and i had no issues with it at all.

Pretty frustrating

hey rick , i figured out the problem , it had something to do with my ethernet card.

i have been running a dlink nic card , but i guess it was conflicting with my router. so i disabled the dlink nic card and enabled my original ethernet card.

and boom all of sudden i was able to play my xbox online and browse the internet on my desktop pc at the same time.

glad i figured it out.

RoccoWoodbridge said:
hey rick , i figured out the problem , it had something to do with my ethernet card.

i have been running a dlink nic card , but i guess it was conflicting with my router. so i disabled the dlink nic card and enabled my original ethernet card.

and boom all of sudden i was able to play my xbox online and browse the internet on my desktop pc at the same time.

glad i figured it out.

Interesting! I'm glad you figured it out too. Perhaps this will a good reference for others with a similar problem to yours. :)

yep , thats why i posted it here , anyone who runs into a problem like this could refer to this thread

knowledge is power my friend:)

thanks mate

Rick said:
That's probably one of the worst routers made recently. Version 5 and 6 are terrible.

comments from another review site:
The good: Speeds approaching those of 802.11a at an 802.11b router
price; easy setup.

The bad: Short operating range compared to that of 802.11b; mixing
802.11b and Wireless-G clients results in poor 802.11b performance;
one-year warranty.

The bottom line: The low-cost Linksys WRT54G features fairly high
throughput. But it has a relatively short operating range, and its poor
performance with 802.11b devices makes claimed backward compatibility moot.

so i guess the wireless g routers are not backwards compatiable basically , never knew that. Would you mind giving me the site reference to where you got that information, Would love to read up on other things as well , remember knowledge is power :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back