TechSpot

Problem with a slow IE browser using xp.

By ridgid31
Feb 20, 2007
  1. I`m a newbie here, Not a pc smart guy whats so ever:eek: and im having a problem with a slow IE browser using xp.

This is a new problem all virus scans are ok used Ewido, spybot,adaware se,registry mechanic, error doctor etc. and i dont even know hot to do a log file for you guys to even see what my problem is.

Its there anyone here that may be of assistance?
    well appreciated :grinthumb ridgid31

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Let`s check for any nasties on your system.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. ridgid31

ridgid31 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi Howard; what is HJT? and how do i log an attachment into this thread?
    I`m very soory, please be patient with me. thank you

another thing to add, if you`ve ever heard of this.... i click on the IE shortcut and it always appears instantly, now
    i click and i wait a very long time before i get to my browser!! (hope this helps you)
    thanks again

4. howard_hopkinso

HJT=HijackThis.

All the instructions you need are in the blue link I gave you. Simply click on the link and it will take you to the instructions.

Regards Howard :)

Edit: Just seen your other post. That`s why I want to see a HJT log, so I can check for any infections your system may have.

5. ridgid31

ok, I clicked the blue (HERE) and (a message for.....& Viruses/Spyware/Malware) and didnt receive nothing, tried it 5 times ... what next?

6. howard_hopkinso

Try this link instead, although the link I gave you before works fine for me.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic19133.html

Better still here are the instructions from the thread I linked.

7. ridgid31

hope this is what your looking for?? Let me know please!!

8. howard_hopkinso

You have not renamed HijackThis.exe as per the instructions, neither did you post your HJT log as an attachment.

Please read the instructions again, then post a fresh HJT log as an attachment.

9. ridgid31

do i post it here?

i think i also renamed it as u told me to

10. howard_hopkinso

Yes, post it in your next reply.

11. ridgid31

umm how do i attach the log? last time i copy & pasted, is it ok to do that?

12. howard_hopkinso

In your post above click the edit button, followed by the Go Advanced button.

Scroll down until you see a button Manage Attachments. Click on that and a popup-window opens.
    Click on the Browse button, find the HJT log file on your PC and doubleclick on it.
    Now click on the Upload button in the popup. When done, click on the Close this window button and click save changes.

13. ridgid31

im not getting an HJT log, none to be found in files and all files i see that appear are 100kb bmp dmp log jpeg etc. no HJT

I found that my webroot spysweeper was slowing down the pc i think or browser because i disabled it and seems ok for now, i just have to find what setting it was at to get it back to normal, does this make any sense to you?

as for viruses, im sure you may find some

14. howard_hopkinso

I already found one nasty in your first HJT log. However, since you had not renamed HijackThis.exe, I told you to rename it and post a fresh HJT log, in order for me to see what else may be there. That`s because some malware can hide from the HijackThis.exe file name.

Since then, we`ve been going round in circles.

I`ve tried everything I can to show you how to post a HJT log, but to no avail.

I`m now going to give you step by step instructions. If you can`t follow them this time, you either need to get a friend to help you, or take your computer to someone who can fix it for you.

You`ve already installed HJT, so we won`t bother with that.

Step 1: Now you need to rename it. Go to where you put HijackThis.exe and right click on it, select rename. Click in the title box and type Analyze.exe and press the enter key. Now right click on the Analyze.exe and select send to. Choose send to desktop(create shortcut). This will have sent a shortcut to the programme onto your desktop.

Step 2: Double click the Analyze.exe shortcut on your desktop to run it.

Step 3: When the programme opens, click Do a system scan and save a log file.

Step 4: Once the scan has finished, the log file will open. Click file and save as. On the lefthand side click My documents, then click the save button. Close the log file and close HijackThis.

Step 5: In this thread, click the reply button and scroll down until you see the manage attachments button, click on it and click the Browse button.

Step 6: Browse to My documents and click on the log file you just saved. Click open, then click the upload button, next to the browse button.

Step 7: Once the file has uploaded, click where it says close this window. Scroll up to the reply window and type "Here is my HJT log." Now click the Submit button.

If you`ve done everything correctly, you should see your new post with a HJT log attached.

15. ridgid31

another shot at it

Hi Howard; Done what you told me to do, If its is wrong where can i save HJT to and how to rename it once again. I`ll save the post you write to me, I clicked off of it again sorry, your patience must be getting thin. I`m having the hardest time getting the file type you need and im going step by step, getting closer but i dont think these files are what your looking for?
    Thanx for your patience Howard

16. howard_hopkinso

Well, you`ve definitely learned how to attach a HJT log. This is taken from your log.

C:\Program Files\ANALYZE\HijackThis.exe as you can see, you have not renamed HijackThis.exe to Analyze.exe.

Double click Mycomputer\Program files\ANALYZE. Right click on the HijackThis.exe file and choose rename from the menus that appears, click in the title box and use the delete key to clear what`s in the box. Type Analyze.exe into the box and press the enter key. Run HJT again and post a fresh log as an attachment.

17. ridgid31

lets hope this is it!!

I`m just wondering if this had worked out for you.
    please get back to me, thank you.

18. howard_hopkinso

You`re not running any antivirus or firewall software. Also you`re running a completely unpatched version of Windows. I suggest you run Windows updates and install at least service pack 1 and preferably service pack 2.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O16 - DPF: {8A94C905-FF9D-43B6-8708-F0F22D22B1CB} - http://www.worldwinner.com/games/shared/wwlaunch.cab

O16 - DPF: {F127B9BA-89EA-4B04-9C67-2074A9DF61FD} (Photo Upload Plugin Class) - http://walmart.pnimedia.com/upload/activex/v2_0_0_9/PCAXSetupv2.0.0.9.cab?

O21 - SSODL: pJDtGjxYTG - {58F53330-F25F-999A-91AA-5D6076109C6A} - (no file)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system. Rehide your protected OS files.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly. This includes installing antivirus and firewall software. The instructions aren`t hard to follow, if you take your time.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

This thread is for the use of ridgid31 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

19. ridgid31

thank you for ur assistance, i`ll do what you told me to do.
    Can you recommend what i should use for running any antivirus or firewall software please,(free) and good? thx again, you are the best PC wizz thats ever giuded me through something so difficult. well appreciated Howard.
    Again ty

Hi Howard; I can get any updates whats so ever!! It wont let me, do you know how to get sp1 and 2? thank you.

20. howard_hopkinso

There are links to some of the best free antivirus and firewall programmes are in the instructions in my post above.

As for your Windows update problem, do the following.

Click start/all programmes/Windows update and follow the instructions.

This thread is for the use of ridgid31 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.