Problem with AC3 sound

Hello,

I'm a total newbie with sounds.
My problem is I'm watching OZ with VLC mediaplayer. Now I want to look season 2, but the sound doesn't work very good. The background sound (you know what I mean?) is just fine, but when the people talk I can't really hear them, so I have to put the volume up, but then the background sound is too loud. I've tried to look at the problem, and I think it has something to do with AC3 codecs, because in the name of the episode it also says AC3. I tried to download a AC3 codec but it's still the same, and I don't know what to do.

I hope you understand what my problem is, and I hope you can help.

The problem is not with the codec but with the original Dolby Digital encoding process if you have a multichannel sound environment (5 -8 speaker plus a sub) try turning up the center channel as this is where the voices are or turn down the rears (background sound) to try to equalize them with the center channel. Most multichannel sound cards will have on the volume panel separate volumes for each channel.

If you have 2 channel sound ( 2 speakers) most likely the player is outputting at 6 channels, instead of mixing all channels in to just 2 so all you are hearing is the front channels in the preferences of the VLC player change the sound output format to a 2 channel encoding instead of 6. In the preferences menu click sound and then at dolby surround click down arrow choose off this will stop the player from trying to emulate surround sound which is for multichannel. Sounds like you only have 2 speakers instead of 6.
Hope this helps

Back