Problem with activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKJay15

I just build another new computer and installed windows Xp home edition onto it. When i went to activate it the Product key will not work. I have activated this particular copy of windows on 3 systems with no trouble this far. So, i did some research on google and found out that i should not have been able to do what i did (activate on 3 systems with the same disk) and that i cant activate it on this system. My question is do i have to buy another copy of windows just to activate it?

If you`ve already activated it on three computers,your three times better off than the rest of us.:)

Yep, you're supposed to have a copy or license for each system. Best to buy OEM version of windows XP for each system but you can only buy WITH the system or hardware or else you need a retail version which is more expensive.

I get this activation problem when I replace dead motherboards for customers. Go to activate and it won't let me because it's been activated with different hardware configuration (the old motherboard), so I have to call Microssoft and speak to a rep then tell them I just changed the motherboard, they ask if this copy of Windows is installed on other machines and I say no, they then give me an activation number over the phone an all is good.

But hey, how many times can you change the motherboard on the same computer?

Microsoft is running a validation on every Windows activation now. Its a pain in the ***. I have to re-activate even when I do a restore with Ghost now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back