Problem with ADI 1981A and Windows .NET 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed Windows .NET 2003 RC1 on my Dell 4550.

Next I installed the Intel 845 chipset drivers V4.04.1007 (from Dell). At this point all looks well, except for a "Multimedia Audio Controller" in the device manager with a yellow bang next to it

Then I installed the ADI 198x Integrated Audio package V5.12.01.3511 (from Dell). The Multimedia Audio Controller goes away, and is replaced by SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.

The problem is - no sound. There is a program called DSndUP.exe in the package. If I run this I get a "No ADI codec driver is installed" error.

Where can I get the ADI codec driver from?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Probably very few of the people around here are running that - it is entirely possible that it just simply won't work with Release Candidate 1.... Its not released to the public for a reason - its not good enough yet to have everything work as its supposed to.
Might be better off just asking Dell or Microsoft about this problem.

That's because Windows.NET is for SERVERS; and audio is an unecessary overhead.

If you are running Windows.NET for home use, you'll have a lot of changing to do to get it to function with games etc..

You can enable the audio by starting the "Windows Audio" service in the services section. Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

Right click on the service and choose "Properties".. Then choose "Automatic" for when the service should start. Then right click on the service again and choose "Start" or just restart the computer.

A home run!

That was it, thanks.

I was so focused on the missing codec driver error that I never thought to look!

Thanks again,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back