Problem with ASUS GeForce 2 GTS and colored dots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help: ASUS GeForce 2 GTS and colored dots

First of all, sorry for my bad english, I am from Brazil...
Until last week everything was ok... my ASUS GeForce 2 GTS 32 MB was working fine with my AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz, 256 MB SDRAM on an ASUS A7A 266 MOBO.
For better CPU cooling, I changed my computer case to a bigger mini-tower with two internal air circulators (power connectors plugged on my ASUS MOBO) to ensure enought air circulation. After that, I noticed that in 2D programs there are some colored spots (noticed on black color images); if I refresh the picture, the spots change place (sometimes they disappear). My 3D games are ok (Half-Life and Quake 3) and my Athlon is better cooled now (ASUS Probe, last version) and my videocard cooler is working. I am not overclocking anything and did not change a single thing on my ASUS drivers' configuration. Can someone help me?

*Windows 98 SE / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

Welcome to 3dspotlight forums...

The only thing I can think of that could be a problem is your power supply. It is possible that you were sitting on the edge of the max power that it can supply. With a Geforce2 GTS and Athlon its probably best to have at least 300w. If you have 250w its possible that the extra power required by the fans has take a little power from the GF2. Apart from that I would check that no points under the motherboard in the case are too close or touching the base of the case. Not sure what else it could be, sounds like a strange problem. Hopefully one of our selection of knowledgeable members will have a solution or an idea of what may be causing this problem ;)

All i can think of, (i dont know why there wasn't a problem with your old one)!
But try the Detonator drivers, ive only ever come accross 2 problems with Nvidia cards and both problems have been fixed by Detonator drivers!

If you have Win95, Win98, Win98SE or Win ME use these:
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows9x

If you have WinXP or Win 2000 use these:
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000

Hope this helps TRY THEM, although i dont think it will:confused:

Last updated 14:50 GMT 2/1/2002
Maintained by Christopher Hill (aka Minkus)
http://www.geforcefaq.com/faq.html#hw:gef:troub:dots

Q. I get dots all over the screen in some programs. How can I fix it?
In 2D programs, this may be caused by the Detonator 3 (6.xx) driver sets. Try reverting to the Detonator 2 (5.xx) driver sets.

In 3D games, these are polygon junctions. You should only be worried if these occur without overclocking.

If you have an option in your BIOS called 'Fast CPU Command Decode', try setting it to Normal instead of Fast.

If you are playing with a Quake engine based game, try the console command:

/gl_keeptjunctions "1"

Reset all of the options in the NVIDIA control panel to default.

Try underclocking your card.

Try going into 32 bit colour mode instead of 16 bit.

Replace your card if you can. It is most likely that it is defective.

Maybe this can help you some with your problem. :)

Thanks for helping, guys :)
My power supply is 300W, but I will try to disconnect the air circulators from the MOBO and see if it makes any difference (maybe "stealing" power?). I don't believe that changing the videocard driver could be a solution, first because I have another HD with 12.41 detonator driver and the problem still occurs; second, as I said, everything was perfect before the case change.
I also saw the GeForce FAQ but got little help for my problem.

I still suggest trying to upgrade your drivers at least to the new 28.32 official Nvidia detonator drivers. See if this does anything to help.

Did you overclock that card at a certain given time or never ?

A friend of mine has had a similar problem after overclocking his card too much. even when he brought it back to default settings, he kept getting those white dots.

Well, a month ago I decided to try ASUS tweak utility, but I think the amount of it's core/mem overclockability is too small to justify a big damage on a GeForce 2 GTS.
I'm afraid my videocard can not be fixed :(
Maybe now it's time to look for a GeForce 3 (prices are dropping)...

It could be overclocking.
When I overclock my old Geforce DDR to much all sorts of coloured dots appear throughout games, but to fix it I just clocked it down a little. I doubt it would be PSU.

My video card died a slow death. Those colored dots started to appear and eventually the entire screen was covered with it even during boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back