Problem with ATI x1950pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there.
As a foolish act I've overclocked my ati x1950pro video card in the recent times. I used a software called Ati Aray Tools to detect how much boost I can give to it. It worked fine for a while, (about a week or so,) but yesterday, while I was playing Warcraft3, the screen suddenly went black, and although I've been able to hear the music that winamp played, my pc didn't respond to any key-combinations, so I restarted it. Some time later the same thing occured, about 10-15 minutes after I started S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky, this time without any overclocking.
Since then I can't even start Stalker, as at the moment the main menu appears, the screen goes black again. Warcraft3 howerver did let me play for about 10 minutes before doing so. Now it stops at the main menu as well.
I've tried to reinstall the drivers using Driver Cleaner Pro, but it didn't do any good. In fact these blackouts have become much more recent, and sometimes I can't even start windows because of them.
Everytime it happens, the fan of the video card stars to whirl madly at about 100% speed, but I've checked it, and the card doesn't appear have any burnt smell even after letting it whirl for a prolonged time, and it's just lukewarm when I touch it.
For some time I thought that it might be a hardware issue, but after checking with RivaTuner, it became clear, that the video card doesn't gets hot at all. It has an idle temperature of 47-50 Celsius (my CPU has around 47 as well), and at worst it goes around 60-65. I think that's pretty normal for a video card considering the warm temperature in my room. I've even tried underclocking my Ati, and I've set the fan speed to 80% manually, and also removed one side of the PC's case, but the problem occured just as it did before.
Also, any 3D test or benchmark (or any program at all that uses 3D graphics) does the same thing to it.

Could anyone help me please? Do you think it might be a hardware issue after all? Might the problem be with that little chip at the corner of the card? (I've read in other forums about that little bugger.)
Or might there be a way to fix it without messing around with the card itself?

Thanks a lot for the answers in advance!

You might have damaged the video card by overclocking. Will the system run if you disable to overclocking now?

My system runs stable as long as I don't start anything that needs more resources from my video card. Also, sometimes, without any apparent reason the same problem occurs when starting windows. (Just before the login screen could appear.)

check out some new modded drivers, because if your computer crashed then they are liable to get corrupted,

i reccomend extreme-G or Warcats drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back