Problem with Audio and USB ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

parekh1112

On my HP Windows XP desktop, audio and the USB ports stop working while the rest of the PC is working fine. The only way to recover is by rebooting the system. After reboot the audio and the ports work fine for a couple of days and the problem repeats. I have tried downloading the latest RealTek audio drivers and cleaning the Registry etc. Nothing has helped.

Any suggestions?

I am not sure if it is a add-on. When I look at the audio device properties it says "Realtek High Definition Audio" "Location: Location 65535 (Internal High Definion Audio Bus)"

Generate then attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Thanks,. I am attaching the report. This is when I have a audio problem. I will need to restart the computer, run the DxDiag again and send another report.

Attachments

• DxDiag- with audio problem.txt
    49.7 KB · Views: 1
OK. Also, next time the problem occurs do the following
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

I'll see if i can look through all the stuff sometime tomorrow

Nothing shows up in the Problem Devices.

I appreciate your help. I am going to restart the system now and send you the report.

Here is the DxDiag report after restarting the system.

Attachments

• DxDiag - with audio working ok.txt
    55 KB · Views: 4
Hmmm... Odd problem... A few things to mention

1. Your audio is Realtek (as you guessed earlier) and it connects to your PCI bus. So it's odd that whatever the problem affects both audio (on PCI bus) plus your USB ports. Of course, nothing is impossible with computers (or Windows!) but are you sure these two problems always occur together? or might they be separate problems?

2. When your audio is not working, the data you provide doesn't seem to point to a driver issue but, just to be sure, when you're having the problem open Device Manager. Look closely at all entries under the USB, System and Sound categories. Do you see any red X's? or yellow icons on any device?

3. Also, when the audio is not working, click Start->Run, enter: services.msc. Scroll to Windows Audio service. Verify if Status=Started and Startup Type= Automatic?

/* edit */
Oh! I just noticed you're also still running XP SP2!
> Do you run Custom Windows updates? Have you installed all the hardware optional updates
> You should also upgrade to SP3 (but be sure to backup all your stuff. Good to do a backup image of HD in fact). Most SP3 upgrades go smooth, but some don't... so be prepared with bakups, just in case
> Also are you aware MS is dropping XP SP2 support very soon (like sometime this summer)

Yes, the USB and audio problems do occur at the same time. I will upgrade to SP3.

The audio is working now hence I would need to wait till it fails again to check other things you have suggested.

Would upgrade to Windows 7 help?

It's possible that reinstalling either of XP or Win 7 will fix the problem as either will do a fresh install and correct any software/driver corruption. So you might
> Simply reinstall XP first (save the $$ if possible as well as rule out any machine defect before spending $$ for an OS for a faulty system)
> If you do reinstall (either XP or Win7) is prudent to first create a backup cloned image of your hardrive (EASUS To Do backup is a good freeware tool to that)

Do you have your XP CDs? (Or is that an option?)

I am glad to report that after installing SP3, the audio and USB port problems have been fixed. No issues during past two weeks. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back